Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about ready to cry. I've been using Beccabottoms, VBs and recently some Bottombumpers. The minute my DD wets, the outer fabric along the inner legs is wet!!! I'm so tired of picking her up and having urine soaked fabric on my arm or wetting my shirt.

And another thing, what is with all the VB AIOs that don't turn properly at the outer leg, so all this birdseye is showing? I've bought them several times off the TP, and I keep ending up with ones where the inner shows a ton at the sides, so when she wets heavily, her clothes are soaked

Ugh, I am so frustrated. I changed her into a BB this morning, went to go toss the wet diaper in the pail and wash my hands, and by the time I went to find her and pick her up, I could feel wet on my arm.

Help! What am I doing wrong? Do I just need to invest in some good doublers?

TIA!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lynda. I did think of that, but my wash routine in the last several weeks had consisted of a cup of BS in the wash, and 1/2 cup of vinegar in the rinse. Isn't that what I would do to strip them?
: Otherwise, I use Arm & Hammer, only about 1/3 of the normal amount, and then I do a second hot wash with a second rinse.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I was thinking it sounded like build up too. If the urine isn't being absorbed, it would run right off the diaper and out the legs no matter how snug they are.

You could take a dry diaper and pour some water on it and see what happens. If it isn't absorbed immediately, build-up is your problem. If it is absorbed right away, then I don't know what to tell you. I guess you might want doublers after all.

It really sounds like a build-up issue to me though. I think if it was leaking/wicking, the outside wouldn't be soaked immediately. There are a lot of different ways to strip diapers. If it turns out that build-up is your problem, do a search here and then start trying different things until something works. Unfortunately, what works well for one person can make it worse for another.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My son could wick out of any WAHM AIO I tried (well, except mine which I developed specifically for that reason). He could make the plain 'ol PUL wick just as quickly as the fancy prints, too. I think some kids just do that.
I would try to test the soaker under running water to make sure it isn't repelling. I also found fabrics like sherpa would absorb faster than hemp to catch the quick flood. I think overall hemp absorbs more but you might need to try different fabrics to see which works fastest.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by melissel
Thanks Lynda. I did think of that, but my wash routine in the last several weeks had consisted of a cup of BS in the wash, and 1/2 cup of vinegar in the rinse. Isn't that what I would do to strip them?
: Otherwise, I use Arm & Hammer, only about 1/3 of the normal amount, and then I do a second hot wash with a second rinse.
I've actually heard that baking soda can cause buildup. When I stripwash, I just use plain water, but really hot. I turn up my water heater all the way, do a small wash with not too many diapers at a time, boil a big pot of water, and add it to increase the temperature as much as possible. I then put it on the longest cycle, highest agitation setting. And then I repeat that a few times, if I'm getting any suds at all. Doing this has been very effective for me. I often get suds at the higher temperature that just weren't coming out in the cooler water.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WELL!!!!
: Color me shocked. I did the repelling test today and nearly fell over when I saw the water just run straight off my soakers!!!! I tried with two different dipes, and sure it enough it happened both times. I think it isn't happening with the doublers because they've barely been used, and so haven't acquired as much build-up.

Thank you mamas! Now I have to figure out how to strip them, because I thought what I was doing WAS what I would have to do to strip them

Oh, and sqoya, we use the regular kind of A&H, but for the last several weeks I've been using only V&BS. I think I'll have to do what a PP suggested, the hot water strip wash.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by melissel
WELL!!!!
: Color me shocked. I did the repelling test today and nearly fell over when I saw the water just run straight off my soakers!!!! I tried with two different dipes, and sure it enough it happened both times. I think it isn't happening with the doublers because they've barely been used, and so haven't acquired as much build-up.

Thank you mamas! Now I have to figure out how to strip them, because I thought what I was doing WAS what I would have to do to strip them

Oh, and sqoya, we use the regular kind of A&H, but for the last several weeks I've been using only V&BS. I think I'll have to do what a PP suggested, the hot water strip wash.
Well at least now you know why they were leaking! Hot water has always worked well for me, but I also like to add a bit of Calgon (water softener) when I strip. We have hard water and that really helps bring out the suds.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.