Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is nearly 3 1/2 and she has been out of diapers for over a year, but still insists on one to poop in. It's not like she's ever had an accident - even peeing she had maybe 2 accidents - she just will not poop anywhere other than in a diaper. And she can't tell me why, except "it's easier" - which doesn't justify the screaming if a diaper isn't available, and human anatomy being what it is, I cant see how it IS easier - ALL humans squat to poop. She wants to stand up. I don't get it. She has pooped on the potty twice, long long ago before she was even out of diapers, but never since then - this would have been over a year ago.

Any insight, anyone? We haven't forced the issue because we don't want her withholding. She doesn't usually have problems pooping, she isn't constipated and her poops are generally good.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, she's only ever done it twice, and they were entirely normal poops. She was quite pleased with them afterwards. But then she just stopped doing it.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
try the gradual approach -
Step 1 pooping in a diaper but in the bathroom
Step 2 pooping in a diaper in the bathroom sitting on the potty
Step 3 pooping in a diaper in the bathroom sitting on the potty with a hole cut in the diaper
Step 4 pooping on the potty

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried that - she won't poop sitting down. That's the sticking point, I think, not the actual diaper (although I suggested pooping standing up in the bathtub, and that didn't go over well either, so I just don't know.)

I keep asking her when she's going to poop in the toilet and she keeps saying "When I'm a little bit older." Unfortunately it's not like you can nail a 3-year-old down on a specific timeline.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
It might not be a great parenting strategy but I bribed my son with a toy.

Right when I realized he was about to poop in his pull-up I asked if he wanted to poop on the toilet. He said no, but when I told him he could pick out a toy at the store of his choice if he did he said, "even a gun?" I wasn't too fond of his toy of choice but hey, I wanted him to poop on the toilet so I told him YES! He went right in and pooped on the toilet. At the store we bought a nerf gun that shoots balls and he was happy as a clam! I also snatched up about 15 matchbox cars for future bribing and he has been completely PT since. He stopped getting matchbox cars when he stopped asking for his "poop cars" which was when we had 1 left so it all worked out.

My 7 years of constant diapering are OVER!
:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spughy View Post
I keep asking her when she's going to poop in the toilet and she keeps saying "When I'm a little bit older." Unfortunately it's not like you can nail a 3-year-old down on a specific timeline.

Oh Sarah, I can totally relate!! E won't use the toilet either - she has, successfully, but won't on a regular basis. She just keeps telling me she will "soon, when I'm bigger." I have pointed out that her little friends, even some of the 2 yo's, use the potty - but nothing influences this child. She is just not going to do it. (where is the hair-pulling out smilie?!?)
I keep telling myself (and my mother, etc) that it has to be her choice, and not to turn it into a battle of wills, but honestly....

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Does she have a little potty? If not, you really need to get one. Having to be up high and poop is a little uncomfortable for a lot of kids.

And, in cases like this, I resorted to major bribery. For ds, there was a garbage truck he REALLY wanted. So, I made a picture of it, and cut the picture into 4 pieces. When he pooped in the potty, we put one piece of the picture up on the wall. When the picture was complete, he got the truck (yes, I had it stashed in the garage).

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend the 4 step approach that someone else suggested, only modified. So, step 2 would be sit on the potty for 1 minute the first day, 2 minutes the next, 3 the next etc. until she's pooping in the diaper on the potty.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, everyone. I'm going to try the bribery route. I will swallow my crunchy-mama pride and go to Toys R Us and get Thomas the Train toys for her. Sigh.

At least I got her out of *disposable* diapers. THAT was a real nightmare.

She actually did sit on the loo for DH for half an hour the other day apparently - with no result. We do have a little potty, one of the really good Baby Bjorn ones (not the super-little one) and she'll pee quite happily in it but not poop.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
This is so my dd!
I'm just waiting it out. Eventually she'll get there. I don't mind putting a diaper on her once or twice a day, but that's just me. If we're still having issues by age 5 then I might look into more options.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
We're having the same issue- I blame it on the sheep poo, myself. In Skye's case, she
a) dislikes the feeling of the poo coming out
b) prefers to poo standing up
c) finds it easier with the pressure of the nappy on her abdomen.
Plus she'll withhold for a week or more.

When we move, I am going to be putting a bucket of gift-wrapped presents visibly in the bathroom. One per poo. GOOD stuff. If it works, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Clever Helen! Hope it does.
I had some luck with that with my eldest - got one of those "Toobs of Horses" to sit on the back of the toilet and she got a little pony each time she went - worked, as long as the toob lasted.... but it was a while later before she really felt ready to PL.

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
You said she prefers to be standing up, but have you looked into one of those platforms that straddles the toilet, so she could actually squat to poop? Maybe sitting is just too uncomfortable?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
You said she prefers to be standing up, but have you looked into one of those platforms that straddles the toilet, so she could actually squat to poop? Maybe sitting is just too uncomfortable?
Do you have a link for that? I am at a loss for what to google.

Helen, please do keep me updated on that!

I was stressing a bit because she's starting preschool in September, but we just met with the school director today and she said it's not a problem, so that's a load off my mind... still, I am not a huge fan of still dealing with poopy diapers. Blergh.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
What we found with Skye and school was that she wouldn't ask for a nappy, so she just went in her pants: we got some side-snapping trainer pants in the end.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
DS prefered the "little bébé" (?) potty from Target for $7. It's like the BBLP, but with a rubber grippy along the bottom, and just better IMO (his is pink with a seal and a ball on the front).

The big difference is that their feet can go back as far as they please (so they really have a choice as to weather they are sitting or in a deep squat). I know it's a little detail, but I'm just throwing it out there.

What would she answer if you asked her something like "Do you think tomorrow we could try a poop without a diaper?" and maybe you could give her a bowl or something so she can still stand? or tell her to let you know so you can give her a small bowl to rest on the floor while she does her business.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If she got used to pooping standing up in diapers, adjusting to sitting and pooping may take time.

How does the potty/toilet fit her? She needs to have her potty/toilet fit her well in order to poop comfortably. Can she have feet flat on the floor? What about thighs parallel to floor when she sits so her knees are neither too high up or too low?

A.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.