Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister gave birth to a healthy 8 4oz baby boy last week. He has now lost too much weight than the midwife's are comfortable with, hasnt pooped since Thursday and her milk is barely there. Why would this happen? She (in my opinion) had way too many visitors the day she birthed and after...could stress and lack of constant aquainting to the nipple have led to low supply?<br><br>
I have her fengugreeking and m.milk tea and I have been pumping with her all day. I am still breastfeeding my 2 ydd, so I have helped with some milk which we've given him in a bottle, which he gulped down.<br><br>
What else can we do and why would this happen? It's possible to rebuild both our supplies right?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
How much weight did he loose? Is he still losing, holding, gaining now?<br>
Stress, improper nutrition/hydration, not enough time at the breast, medication, tongue tie (lack of transfer of milk) etc could lead to not enough milk/gain. I assume her hcp checked for retained placenta.<br><br>
If her goal is 100% breastfeeding at the breast I would suggest an alternate way of supplementation - cup, spoon, syringe, etc.<br><br>
Your supply should not be a problem it is firm at 2 years. Her supply needs to be worked on asap. Yes it can be corrected but she needs to stay on it. My suggestion would be to get with a good IBCLC and have baby evaluated as well as mom. If everything is looking good put them together skin to skin for 2 solid days of nursing and I bet her supply will be where it needs to be.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I am also curious how much weight the baby has lost.<br><br>
I agree, she should see a lactation consultant ASAP. Pediatricians & OBGYNs are pretty clueless when it comes to milk production. Midwives a little less clueless, so if they are concerned, I would be, too.<br><br>
If the baby is over a week old, her milk should have come all the way in & a before/after feeding weigh-in on a sensitive scale will be crucial to determining if/how much the baby needs to be supplemented.<br><br>
Constant skin to skin could help, but it may not be enough. Some mamas just can't make enough milk, ever, period. A LC can help determine if that is the case in her instance, or if she just needs to change something that she's doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts