Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to explain the severity of this situation.<br><br>
The bill is going to get voted on in the senate soon. The obstetric lobby is going to try to prevent this by getting senators to vote no or amend the law in unacceptable terms.<br><br>
If this bill does pass, you can be sure that the obstetric lobby will try to kill it in the house, and we will need to fight hard to show support for it with our representatives in a month or so.<br><br>
If the bill does not pass, you can be sure that a new bill drafted by the MMS obstetricians will try and regulate midwifery on THEIR terms, not ours or the midwives. It could be VERY bad for CPMs.<br><br>
No legislation is perfect, but this legislation was written with the cooperation of the CPMs, CNMs, and consumers over the last several years. This is the furthest it has gotten in the process so far.<br><br>
Being ambivalent about this bill is VERY DANGEROUS to our birthing choices and our daughters' birthing choices. I appreciate that not everyone can go down to the state house for geographic or childcare or job issues, but EVERYONE must call their state senator and the Senate President, Senator Murray on Monday to show support for it at 617-722-1500 and leave a message with an aide (whomever they refer you to). You can leave a voice-mail message if you get voice mail.<br><br>
Message to her aide:<br><br>
"I am calling the Senate President to thank her for her support of midwifery and to ask that Senate 1251, An Act to Establish a Board of Midwifery, be passed in the Senate in Tuesday's session. The bill will improve access to cost-effective, high quality midwifery care. Thank you for your consideration."<br><br>
Be sure to leave all your contact info including your address and phone number.<br><br>
A massive grassroots response it the only way we can compete with the slickness and greed of the obstetric lobbies.<br><br>
Thank you to all who have done your part!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I think there are a lot of people out there that might support the bill if they saw how it will improve care for all women (improve hospital births as well as allow for more home births and possible establishing birth centers) but I know my friends not familiar with this issue seem to look at it as a hombirth bill and are less likely to support it untill I explain some of the theoretical things (good things) that can happen if this is passed.<br><br>
Can anyone add any helpful words tips?? I mean, IF I tell people that the Ob/Drs oppose it, they are going to wonder WHY they oppose it and wonder if there are good reasons for it.<br><br>
Jessica

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Nurse midwives all over the country are employed and at the mercy of obs, and that is why when money gets tight (not enough clients for obs or 'natural birth' (without epidural or c/s) is taking away from the hospital bottom line nurse midwives are the first to go...it is constantly happing with hospital and birth center based midwives. It also prevents CNM's from even being 'allowed' to do homebirth. It is a conflict of interest to have the obs in charge of thier competitors - it is restraint of trade. This bill would make CNM's independant.<br><br>
Also, many times CNM's have to treat patients a certain way (inductions too early, for example, or c/s) because they are ordered by physicians to do so...as they are the boss. Again this would make them independant.<br><br>
The western industrial countries with the best maternal and newborn statisics for morbidity and mortality have midwives as primary care providers, not surgeons. We need to treat our midwives with the respect and intellegence they deserve. This will improve outcomes for the maternity system.<br><br>
ACOG is a trade organization and therefor protects the financial interest of thier collegues, and I am sorry to say, carry on thier patriarchal view of woman's bodies/birthing options like we are incapable of making intellegant decisions. (This is my view of AGOG, but not of every OB).<br><br>
I am sure there are other points I have missed...but it's a start...<br><br>
See you all tomorrow I hope!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
yeah, I think we are giong to try to make it. Daylight savings not really helping though....<br>
Is it okay to arrive late or should we try to be there by 10:00... We'll aim for 10 regardless, but if Josh wakes up late it just isn't going to happen.<br><br>
thanks for the info Paige. It helps to have someone else who is much better versed outline it.<br><br>
Jessica

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Paige!<br><br>
Another thing the bill provides is greater access to emergency medicine and supplies for hb midwives. Paige can speak to this, but some CPMs have a hard time finding all of the equipment they would like to have on hand.<br><br>
The bill also broadens prescriptive power to CNMs who would no longer be under the supervision of a sponsoring physician of medicine relative to their scope of care.<br><br>
I mentioned in other posts that I know of OBs who are supportive of this bill, but the trade organization is where I throw the Darth Vader sound effects.<br><br>
We are supposed to meet Monday at 10:15 at the 4th floor coffee shop in the senate, and we are asked to dress as professionally as possible. Bring your navy pinstripe ring sling! : )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts