Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our WIC office is absolutely filthy, and ewwww.... I swear it hasn't been cleaned forever. I noticed that the job and family services office is the same way. Why is this? Just because people need help doesn't mean they don't deserve a clean office?

On the other hand, we finally got back on WIC, I made my apt two months ago, so I have been waiting for awhile. I love all the free milk, cheese, and cereal.
:

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Yucky. Mine is just fine.

I do laugh at one of the drawings on the wall meant for kids. It reads, "Don't drink" in addition to "don't do drugs" but I was just thinking about my kids reading that and wondering why they shouldn't drink water, milk, or juice.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I always assumed that a company that isn't pulling down a big profit can't afford excellent janitorial services. WIC probably pours what money it has into other (hopefully more important) things like the service itself and paying employees.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by not now View Post
I always assumed that a company that isn't pulling down a big profit can't afford excellent janitorial services. WIC probably pours what money it has into other (hopefully more important) things lik.e the service itself and paying employees.
Well, WIC isn't exactly like a company though- it's a state run program subsidized in large part by federal grants, right? So it's not all that different than going to any other government office- they should all have $$ for janitorial service in the budget.

Is there a suggestion box OP? You could point out that it's not exactly an environment that you're excited about... maybe that would prompt the workers to take another look the office.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I feel the same way. The office was so depressing, and the staff so Surly, that I dropped WIC when they wanted to poke DS 1 when he was 10 months old. Going to the filthy office, with toys so dirty I wouldn't let my DOG play with them, was insulting to say the least.

But you have your coupons now!!
: Hooray for free food!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by feminist~mama View Post
Well, WIC isn't exactly like a company though- it's a state run program subsidized in large part by federal grants, right? So it's not all that different than going to any other government office- they should all have $$ for janitorial service in the budget.

Is there a suggestion box OP? You could point out that it's not exactly an environment that you're excited about... maybe that would prompt the workers to take another look the office.
Grants don't give a lot of money, there is no profit and in these times WIC is probably overwhelmed and trying to make every cent count. I'd just be grateful to be getting assistance, even if the place was dirty.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Oh I don't think any of us that receive WIC aren't completely and utterly greatful for the help, believe me the difference it makes for my family is astounding! There are so many times when we survive solely on the cheese, milk and peanut butter for three days.
We're just saying that because we're asking for help doesn't mean we wouldn't appreciate a sanitary office to get said help.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Please do as previous posters suggest and write a letter. I work for county government and we want to hear from our clients. You and every other family in your community (and the employees) deserve clean offices.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I wouldn't expect it to look like the Ritz Carlton or anything, but it should at least be clean. I agree that all gov't services should have basic janitorial services in place. Even in regular corporate offices, some places are cleaner than others (individual desks, etc), but the public areas should be basically clean.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by not now View Post
I'd just be grateful to be getting assistance, even if the place was dirty.
And that is the attitude that made me feel degraded by the situation. Like I should just "be grateful", even if the staff was rude and the office was so disgusting that I did not feel comfortable bringing my child there. How hard is it to clean up a little??? Most Pubs that I have gone to were cleaner
:
No thanks. I would rather do without

Not to mention that I and my entire family ahve been paying for this program for years. It isn't like I was getting a "hand out". Not that it should matter.

It's kind of like donating a bunch of beat up JUNK to a family in need, and then saying "they should be happy to get help" when they complain about it. There is a way to help people while also making sure that they feel valued and respected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.