Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to get soy milk substituted for whole milk?My baby will be a year old next month and I don't want to give him cow's milk due to family allergy.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
In quite a few states the only way you can stand a chance of getting soy milk is if you have a doctor's note stating that your child has a dairy allergy. Mere lactose intolerance, at least in AZ, will only get you a balance of more cheese/less milk and the option of getting lactaid/acidophilus milk.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
I work for WIC in MD. WIC is a state run program, so what you can get varies from state to state. It's also all based on government contracts with the different food companies. The only states I know that will provide soymilk are North Carolina and Hawaii (though there may be more). In the other states, WIC doesn't have a contract with a soymilk company to provide it (probably because of the dairy companies' pressure to not).<br><br>
If your child is milk allergic, WIC will probably give you a toddler soy formula. But it's kinda gross. Not exactly soymilk.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
My older neice got Pediasure instead of milk (non-dairy, non-soy). It was a huge fuss, but eventually her doctor wrote a note saying that a) she was severly underweight (less than 1st percentile) and b) she was allergic to milk (which she was). The doctor suggested Pediasure as a supplement, and the WIC office obliged.<br><br>
P.S.-If the concern is about sweeteners in soy milk, you could tell them that there are unsweetened varieties available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts