Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just became aware of a situation where a WIC nurse examined and partially retracted a 6 month old baby boy's penis-without gloves-apparently under the guise of routine screening for sexual abuse. The mother didn't think the foreskin should be retracted, so she told the WIC nurse to stop but she continued to "check" it and then proceeded to tell the mother that she thought his foreskin seemed tight and left the room to get another nurse to come and look at it. She got her son dressed, so the other nurse didn't have the opportunity but she was written a referral to have him looked at by someone else. The mother filed a complaint with the WIC office but was told by the office manager that she ought to educate herself about her son's genitals and that it was WIC's protocol to check the genitals.

I suggested she:

-Contact ARCLAW for legal advice/referral.

-File a separate complaint with the health department.

-If the WIC worker is a nurse to find out her license number and file a complaint with her state nursing board.

-Climb the WIC ladder as far as it will take her, and demand that staff be properly educated about universal precautions, normal genital anatomy and development, and client/patient/parent rights and consent issues.

-Contact the media if she doesn't get satisfactory results.

I also gave her the AAP's "Care of the Uncircumcised Penis", D.O.C.'s "The Development of Retractile Foreskin in the Child and Adolescent: A guidance for healthcare providers", Mothering Magazine's Fleiss article "Protect Your Uncircumcised Son: Expert Medical Advice for Parents", and a link to a Intact Care Agreement.

Can you think of anything else? It doesn't sound like he was forcibly retracted to the degree where he cried or has any visible damage, but I'm beyond outraged that this happened at a WIC office, of all places!!! What business do they have touching and manipulating children's privates, let alone without gloves? Am I overreacting?

Jen

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Why on earth is a WIC worker undressing children? I was on WIC off and on for five years and never once was there a situation that involved my child being stripped.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
routine screening for sexual abuse? WIC's protocol to check genitals? wtf? to me it seems like sexual abuse to mess with a childs genitals for no freakin reason.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeannie81 View Post
To me it seems like sexual abuse to mess with a childs genitals for no freakin reason.
That's how I see it too.

I think when Quinn was tiny his diaper sometimes came off for weight checks at the pediatrician's office, and perhaps at WIC (can't remember for sure)...but other than that, he was never 'examined' or handled in any way.

Jen

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
When we were on WIC, they just asked that we put a dry diaper on DS so the weight was more accurate. They never even touched him except to weigh and measure him.

This "checking for sexual abuse" thing sounds bogus to me. This is not one of WIC's "things". All they are supposed to do is counsel on nutrition and I think some offices pass out information and give vaccinations.

I'd be PISSED if I were that mama.

I think you covered it all though.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ummmmmmm yep, I'd be filing a lawsuit. I was on WIC when my babies were tiny and neither of them EVER had a genital check. They discussed vaccination, breastfeeding/formula feeding, and solid feeding with me. That's IT.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I was on WIC for a while. My child never, ever had his diaper removed. The extent of exams was height and weight - that's it.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I was only on WIC for a few months and had ONE visit but I had to chim in.

: undressing the baby?!? No way. Not at the office I went to. If anything like that needed to be done they would have had it done at a doctors visit and had us bring in (or have dr send in) a note telling the result.

And without gloves?????
:
:

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Why on earth is a WIC worker undressing children? I was on WIC off and on for five years and never once was there a situation that involved my child being stripped.
:

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I was on WIC for years too-the only thing they did was weight and measure my girls, and anyhow, that is all I would have let them do, no matter what they asked or tried to tell me. It sounds extremely fishy that a WIC worker would do that. Sexual abuse screening? I mean, my goodness.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know that it sounds almost too outrageous to be believable, but honestly I don't have any reason not to believe this mother's story. I can't really say a lot more because we can't talk about other boards, but suffice it to say she's very established and seems quite genuine. I believe her.

Jen

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
What state did this happen in?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I think you covered all the bases. I hope this mother will follow thru with educating this nurse that she was in the wrong and with no gloves :puke to boot. I cant help but wonder how many possible little boys ended up circed because of her diagnosis of a tight foreskin and other dr agreeing with her.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Well, here's the Kentucky WIC page if it helps with contact info:
http://www.chfs.ky.gov/dph/ach/ns/wic.htm

I just don't see anything that would involve a nurse touching a child's penis. It's just all so wrong.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
We are with WIC too & their was 'remove pants & shirts and socks if needed for a iron check. Even at the 'first screening' there was no removal of the 'diapers' . now brendan is 2 he don't take any clothes off even for 'well checks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
(I just realized how small the internet world really is- I posted in that thread, too, Jen--but your advice was much better written than mine!)

I sent the poster a PM as well; she said she would update us about the complaint file.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan1097 View Post
Annette Marie, I thought of something like your avatar but in outline form for the breastfeeding symbol contest.
That would be fun!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.