Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiousity - who else in this DDC is on WIC?

What classes/appts have you had?

I've had 2 classes on how to feed toddlers
, and am hoping that this next class will be on breastfeeding. If it's not, I'm going to ask when they plan on giving me that class!

Other than that, I'm loving getting fresh produce from WIC every month

·
Registered
529 Posts
I havent had to take any classes at all. my appts are just to pick up the checks. however I'm also not getting fresh produce..which I would love!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
i had one class that was scheduled to be a bf class but it ended up being a nutrition class. not that i care. it was a pain in the a$$ either way. i bf one already and i have a MIDWIFE for my second birth. i think i will learn SOOO much more with her than a class full of people who don't have a baby to practice with yet.....duh!!!

i am not getting fresh produce either. just milk, PB, cereal, cheese, juice and dried beans. i like getting the milk but we don't go through nearly enough that they give us....good lord 9 gallons a MONTH!!! i don't go through a whole jar of pb a month either. i hardly drink juice. sometimes i wonder if WIC is pointless......i would spend like 1/4 of what they actually provide....but at least i am not paying for it!!! it does help a bit.

oh and get this my edd is sept. 1 and they go ahead and schedule me to come in and renew ds' on sept FOURTH!!!! i mean really. couldn't they do it earlier or later???? do they think i want to visit them either about to pop or with a newborn. uh no!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've tried getting WIC, but appearantly my dh and I are not quite destitute enough to qualify for it.
We scrape by every month, but we make to much to qualify for it.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I was on WIC with dd, but DH and I have decided not to bother with it this time, it's not worth the headache for us. Our dd is allergic to cow's milk and honestly the most useful thing we ever got from WIC were baby carrots (apparently my reward for breastfeeding) and coupons to the farmer's market. WIC is a big hassle a lot of times, I was told there would be breastfeeding education but never heard anything about it after that and the visits were a PITA.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
This will be our first baby where we haven't qualified for WIC (and our first time not on state health insurance either)! But I never bothered signing up for it before because they aren't vegan friendly, and from everyone else I've heard they tend to push formula on you. And around here they don't give out fresh produce either. So sad.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I think it greatly depends on where you are. Our WIC doesn't give classes, but makes sure you have a visit with 'the breastfeeding lady' once during your pg.
We don't get any produce
And our office really strongly encourages bf'ing (they're a little confused on nursing while pg, but it depends on who you talk to).
Though the ammt of milk (and juice, and eggs...) they give out is just obscene! Definitely not vegan friendly.
I just wish they had a $$ ammount you could spend on a certian product so you could get organic if you wanted!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AutumnMama
Though the ammt of milk (and juice, and eggs...) they give out is just obscene!
Isn't it though? I was on WIC when I was pregnant with dd and I was a huge milk drinker then (two bowls of cereal a day
) plus cooking with it and we still ended up giving milk to MIL because we couldn't use it all...
:

·
Registered
724 Posts
yeah, I usually don't get all the gallons of milk on my vouchers and I have a huge stockpile of juice and cereal now. i do go through the peanut butter though. I had one class and they encouraged breastfeeding. If you formula feed you only get it until the baby is 6 months old here, and you don't get carrots and tuna. If you breastfeed you get it a year. Yea! they seem to be encouraging extended breastfeeding to some extent also (a year is not extended to most people here but to mainstream america, yes) also if you work or go back to school they can get you a pump. And the lady even encouraged a girl who had had a breast reduction surgery and said she "couldn't breastfeed" to try breastfeeding because it is possible usually..

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhinderliter
i am not getting fresh produce either. just milk, PB, cereal, cheese, juice and dried beans. i like getting the milk but we don't go through nearly enough that they give us....good lord 9 gallons a MONTH!!! i don't go through a whole jar of pb a month either.
I don't have an opinion on WIC one way or the other but reading this made me think that all the excess cereal, juice, peanut butter & whatever other shelf stable stuff you get & don't use could be donated to a local food bank. Just a thought.

I am sad to hear that not everyone gets the fresh produce. I know that it is a big deal at the farmers markets around here. I get sellers calling to me all the time that they take coupons (WIC) just because they see I am preg. Unfortunatly we don't qualify or I'd jump on it just for the fruit & veggies.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow Im surprised at the variation of WIC.. I though it was a Federal Program... not state, guess I was wrong.

DD and I both are on WIC, and Im THANKFUL for it all. We get around 9 gallons of milk, 6 boxes of cereal, 2 pbs, 3 dz eggs, 9 Juices, and it all gets used here! Im ADDICTED To milk and scrambled egg sandwiches... and it usually saves me around 60.00/month on my grocery bill...We barely qualified for it though, and I figure that my DH is a hard working man paying for the program thru taxes anyways, so why not take advantage of it!

But they STRONGLY encourage BFing at my clinic thru 1 year, BFing mama's get tuna, carrots, and somthing else I dont remember, but if it doesnt work out they baby will get formula thru 1 yr old..

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
We don't have WIC in Canada, but by the sounds of it I could sure need it right now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts