Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I hope that I can explain my question well enough so someone can understand what they heck I am trying to say!<br><br>
My sister is 36weeks pregnant. She was telling me that when her baby was moving around she could see that he was pulling on the umbillical cord because her belly button was becoming an "innie". Does this make sense?<br><br>
So my question is, is this normal? This never happened to me during my pregnancy, to my knowledge. Does this pose any problem, or concern? Is the baby possibly getting tangled up to where it could be dangerous? If he is pulling hard enough for her outtie belly button to become and innie wouldn't that mean there is not a whole lot of slack?<br><br>
Sorry if this seems wierd to you. I am just wondering if anyone else experienced it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm no expert, but why would her belly button have anything to do with the babies' cord? From my understand of biology, the baby is connected to the cord through his/her belly & the other end is connected to the placenta which is attached to the mama...I'm also 36 weeks pregnant and my belly button has gotten shallower but I think there's just more stretching of my stomach to make it that way. Interesting to see what others say...Sara

·
Registered
499 Posts
The umbilical cord is connected to the placenta and NOT the mothers belly button.....<br>
Most belly buttosn strecth out during pregnancy. I guess if her placenta is attached over her belly button she might feel tugging, but I dont think it would pull in the belly button.<br>
Very strange indeed.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Sorry, the image made me giggle. Sounds like the wombling is pulling the cord on the bus to 'exit' or something...<br><br>
As PPs have noted, wombling's interactions with his/her cord would have no impact on the mamas belly button.<br><br>
Now, that said, when this little girl is really moving, I can watch my belly button change shape, size and depth. It's still and innie, but when she's pushing up there, it can start to bulge out and then go back down...Maybe she's just experiencing something like that...

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
<b><i><span style="font-family:'Comic Sans MS';"><span style="font-size:large;"><span>As has already been said the baby's cord is attched from his/her belly button to the placenta so even he/she was pulling the cord it would not make mums belly button go in, it could be just that baby has changed position cos i know when my lo's stook a hand, foot, knee or elbow out my belly button stuck out more so maybe this same in reverse if baby moves away from belly.<br>
hope that makes sence<br>
Becky</span></span></span></i></b>

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm. Well, who knows..babies do wierd things while they are moving around in there. Maybe the baby was just pushing hard with a foot inside and it was making it change.<br><br>
Thanks for your replys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts