Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p> </p>
<p>Ok, so this will be really hard to describe. But maybe it is a clue to something we're missing. So first I'll try to describe the smell. It smells a little foul/sickly....somewhat airy....maybe a little detergenty/cleaner like. Not very helpful, huh! I remember my 14 yo ds smelling like this when he was 5-8 mths old. We didn't know then he was gluten intolerent (though he can have spelt/oats).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So the story with this dd (5 mths old) is she is very reactive to corn, wheat, cow dairy (we'll try goat in a few mths) egg yolk....and avoiding soy, not sure on it. This is all through my milk - she has had nothing to eat/drink other than my milk. My safe diet for 2 months has been rabbit we raise, grass fed beef we raise (store beef/chicken failed) brown rice boiled in rabbit bone broth, steel cut oats/gluten free rolled oats, almonds, almond milk, almond butter, sunflower oil, brown rice protien powder, celery, okra, squash, plain potatoes, bananna, (pineapple & sweet potato I think are ok, I've eaten it ok but suspect it on some reflux last week...but then realized I'd started back on probiotic & liquid vit.) Tomato sauce and every other fruit/veg I try - if I have more than just one bite, she is miserable & writhing in pain. Then gets neon green/yellow poops. Which is hard, cause I'll have a small serving of something, think its ok....so have more the next day and fail! My other problem is looking for discomfort at 4-8 hours after I eat. But I've seen twice lately (I ate wheat I shouldn't!) that there was definate fall-out 26 hours later both times. So maybe those times I just had a little, I didn't wait long enough to see a reaction. Anyway, those are bits I;m still working on understanding.....</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Back to now. She had NEVER had foul smelling drool. But the past 2 days, I ask the kids or hubby to smell her sleeve she's been chewing on, and they wrinkle their nose & pull back in disgust. So its not just me, I can smell it now as I NAK.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So about Thanksgiving - I decided I would eat things other than safe foods, but none of the known allergies/intolerences. And only plain natural foods, but it would be several new foods, so no useful info if she reacted. It was just us at home. We slaughtered a turkey from down the road (but it was fed corn) made pie crust with spelt, pumpkin pie with egg replacer & almond milk (cinnamon/nutmeg is suspect) sweet potatoes with some homemade marshmallow on top (I make it with sugar and honey - I've had little of it lately without much trouble) my rice/rabbit heated up with sunflower oil & mixed with sauted celery, green pepper and shredded carrots (all organic) a few pieces of asperagus and a handful of pomegrant seeds.</p>
<p>By 8 pm she was misserable & spitting up. She was a mess all day Fri & lots of wierd poop...and this wierd smell. I ate no left over & have been strictly on my safe foods 2 days. Today Sat has been much better.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know that nothing can really be figured out from this t-day meal....but is this really off-smelling drool give a clue to anything? Like that it would point to a lack of something....enzyme? deficioncy? Any insight welcome!</p>
<p>Thanks!</p>
<p> </p>

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Yes- absolutely. Bad breath is associated with reflux, which can definitely be cause by a food allergy/intolerance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts