Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Banned
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was sitting here and suddenly for no reason everything went "wavy" and started swirling and swimming around. As in stationary objects were all making this swirling pattern - like one of those hypno wheel things. That started to subside and then the room was really spinning and my head felt heavyish. Then it sort of passed, but my vision was still "off" and I felt very dizzy.

Ok, anyhow... have any of you mom's every gotten this wavy vision business? I read online sometimes migranes cause wavy vision? I have never had this before, with this pregnancy or my past pregnancy.

· Registered
1,006 Posts
In my first trimester I experienced something very similar and it lasted for about 4 days where I was constantly dizzy and needed help to walk straight. It just went away after that and never returned though.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
my mom gets migrains with no pain at all but they cause her vision to be like that, first time it happened was in a grocery store, freaked her out, definitly worth asking a doc or midwife about

· Registered
5,550 Posts
I would definitely get your blood pressure checked -- it can be a sign of pre-e, as the pp mentioned.

That said, I had the same thing happen to me when I was pg. I was ultimately diagnosed with ocular migraines. Unfortunately, not much you can do. It happened probably three times during my pregnancy.

· Registered
2,011 Posts
I had something similar and got it checked out right away because it can be a sign of preeclampsia. It turned out that I was okay and the problem went away eventually but you should definately get it checked out.

· Banned
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering about the pree thing, but wanted to know if there were other causes (the migranes as an example.) I thought blood pressure changes that altered vision were for low blood pressure, wasnt' sure if they were for high blood pressrue also.

When I woke up this morning, my face and the rest of me was very puffy and swollen. I had it with my daughter... and my blood pressure is hovering at 140/95, but when I had pree with my daughter, I didn't get the wierdo wavy vison thing.

Thanks for the posts! I will call the Dr. tomorrow and see if I can up my appointment.

· Registered
5,123 Posts
Please call your midwife or OB right away! I would page them (or whatever your after hours plan is) instead of waiting til Monday. Even if it is better right at the moment, I still think you should speak to someone.

With all three of my pregnancies (in '95, '99 and '02), my midwives always mentioned that any vision disturbances would be something they'd want to know about right away! It is one of the warning signs of.... was it pre-eclampsia? Call in!

· Banned
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not seen my OBGYN yet (read the thread about jumping through hoops of fire.) Where I am, even when I go to a clinic, they refuse treatment. I have been refused treatment at 4 clinics. I really don't have a choice but to wait. I have no way of paging the Dr. either. I call and the message says to contact this other number for anotehr doctor, but without me being an established patient, they aren't going to see me.

I will call tomorrow and see if I can get my appointment upped, but I have to wait until tomorrow so I can speak directly with his office.

· Registered
658 Posts
I've never heard of someone not being treated for a specific ailment at either a walk-in clinic or the ER. We also moved when I was 6 months pregnant and I was able to handle specific problems that way untill I got things set up with my midwife.

Good luck,
Czen

· Registered
8,359 Posts
I had some weird stuff like that happen to me while I was pregnant, and it turned out to be a mild seizure disorder thing.
I don't want to freak you out, but transient ischemic attacks (mini-strokes) can sometimes do that, too.
If your blood pressure's ok, I'd think about trying to talk to a neurologist.

· Banned
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czen:)
I've never heard of someone not being treated for a specific ailment at either a walk-in clinic or the ER. We also moved when I was 6 months pregnant and I was able to handle specific problems that way untill I got things set up with my midwife.

Good luck,
Czen
The ER would see me I am sure, but when I had called the ER about a week ago (I called because clinics were refusing to treat me and sending me home,) I was told by a nurse that while she could not say for sure one way or the other, my likely treatment would be bedrest unless my BP was alarmingly high or I was having other more serious issues (organs shutting down, chest pain, severe abdominal cramping...) and that my best course of treatment would be to see an OBGYN.

Clinincs, Midwives, and the Women's health center all refused to see me because of my medical history. I was told I was too much of a risk for them to evaluate. I was very lucky to get a doctor willing to give me an appointment without a referral from a doctor, which they are not supposed to do in Canada. I posted all about it here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=302204

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakay
I had some weird stuff like that happen to me while I was pregnant, and it turned out to be a mild seizure disorder thing.
I don't want to freak you out, but transient ischemic attacks (mini-strokes) can sometimes do that, too.
If your blood pressure's ok, I'd think about trying to talk to a neurologist.
Did you have the visuals? How often did they happen? How long did they last? Were you given medication? I highly doubt it was a transient ischemic attack or mini-stroke, as it involved both of my eyes, I had no numbness anywhere, and my mental faculties were very clear (no confusion etc.) I could also speak just fine.

· Registered
11,617 Posts
Mrs Moe, an ER cannot turn you away in Canada. I'm guessing you were turned away from the walk in clinic not so much because of your risk (cause most of the docs that cover the walk in clinics are emerg docs) but because you were going just to get a referral--KWIM?
Btw, there are a few docs in Mississauga and I believe 2 in Milton and 5 or 6 in Oakville all accepting new patients right now. I know the ones in Milton could see you right away (my dh just got an appt)

· Banned
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218
Mrs Moe, an ER cannot turn you away in Canada. I'm guessing you were turned away from the walk in clinic not so much because of your risk (cause most of the docs that cover the walk in clinics are emerg docs) but because you were going just to get a referral--KWIM?
Btw, there are a few docs in Mississauga and I believe 2 in Milton and 5 or 6 in Oakville all accepting new patients right now. I know the ones in Milton could see you right away (my dh just got an appt)

Ya, I know the ER will see me, because I called to make sure. ROFL. If they will treat me other than ordering bed rest is another story.

I gotta be honest, I feel real uncomfortable going to the ER for a few reasons, one is I don't want to be an alarmist, and two I don't want to rack up a huge medical bill when my gut tells me they won't do anything anyhow. I see the Dr. in a few days, I waited this long, I can wait a bit longer.

As far as the clinic, even after I was denied a referral, I asked if they would see me for my high blood pressure at least. She went back and spoke with the doctor and I was told "sorry, but the doctor says you are too much of a risk." I was like "so legally you can turn me away and deny me medical care?" The reply was "yes, we suggest you go to the hosptial." The office girl was really apologetic, and sorry, but it didnt' do me any good. I went to 2 clinics in person and called 2 clinics. Trust me, I cannot believe they can do it either. I think it's unreal and disturbing.

I did get a finally also get a regular doctor, but I gotta wait a month or so to see them. I have an appointment - first time - with OBGYN.

--

With the swirly vision thing, I cannot find anything online that describes what I saw. I'm telling you, it was the wierdest. No pain, both eyes, and everything I was looking at spun all swimmy-like in a circle. Then when all the little things stopped moving in a circular pattern, I felt drunk, like the room was moving all around, then my tummy felt sorta sick, and I was dizzy. My head also felt "heavy" and I felt really "gross" and "off." I was able to walk upstairs and tell my husband all about it. It didn't last long. And it hasn't happened since.

· Premium Member
2,175 Posts
I had something similar happen when I was pg w/ DS. It seems like it was in the first half of the pregnancy but can't recall exactly when.

I was lying in bed and the room started to spin and I felt as though I couldn't get up. But I rolled to my side and shut my eyes and when I opened them it was still doing it. Then I shut my eyes again and then it stopped. Oddest thing, and I felt queasy afterwards, and wondered if that is what some people experience when they are really drunk (I've never been drunk past "tipsy"). But it didn't recur, and apparently was just "one of those things" that sometimes happen when you're pg. It sounds kind of like what happened to you, doesn't it? At the time I had normal/lowish bp and no signs of p-e.

This pg I am lightheaded on a daily basis - as if going over a bump in my car, that 'whoosh' feeling. So far, no good reason why.

· Registered
4 Posts
I come from a line of women who suffer from migraines. I get the "halo" before the pain. Some people never get the pain, my ex is one, he was diagnosed with migraine but has no headache, just the freaky visual effect. I would be really worried about pree with your history, though. I agree with a PP and think a neurologist could help if you don't have pree and it continues to happen. Best to you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.