·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I know nothing about current video games.</p>
<p>DH wants to get the kids 5 and 7 a game system this year.</p>
<p>Which one would you recommend and why?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If this helps at all, I will be limiting game time to 30 min per kid if that's possible.</p>
<p>Also, I would like something the whole family can do together.</p>
<p>I looked on line and Wii is rated lower from a lot of people but I dont really know why.</p>
<p>I would be buying educational games and some fun ones.</p>

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
<p>We have a wii and a ps3. We play the wii much less. We love our ps3. It's not just a game system. We watch movies on it, stream netflix through it, look at pictures on it and other things too. They have motion games now that work like the wii games. Our favorite family game is Little Big Planet. You can make levels and share them. We mostly play community levels that other people have made.</p>

·
Registered
190 Posts
<p>We have a Wii and an XBox.  Wii is definitely more for the kids.  We stream netflix through both Wii and XBox.  Don't know if any system really has much educational games.  I like that the Wii games get the kids moving.  PS3 and XBox have added this feature recently.  Wii is cheaper than either XBox or PS3.</p>

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
<p>We are a Wii family. Nintendo is more geared towards the whole family while xbox and PS are more of "Males age 18 to 35" companies.</p>

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
<p>We have all 3 of those systems. For those ages I'd suggest wii. However I prefer the ps3 because you can watch blu-rays on it.</p>

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
<p>We love our Xbox.  We stream Netflix, my DH loves the ESPN thingy, and we've gotten the Kinect.  The kids love the Kinect, and it's very easy for them to use.  We've got it hooked to a hard drive and our computer, so we watch movies and TV shows through it.   We use it every day for multiple things. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>But, like a PP pointed out, it is more gamer oriented.  The reason we got it in the first place was so my DH could play games.</p>

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
<p>FWIW the Wii streams netflix too. DH has an xbox 360 which he loves, but its definetly not, IMHO a kids' system. Wii DS1 is learning to play (he's nearly 4) - mostly mario kart,  but also active life explorer, wii fit, wii play, etc. If I was getting a system for kids, I think I'd go with a Wii. </p>

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
<p>Question about Wii streaming netflix.  Does it have an internal wireless or do we need to buy a wirelss adapter?  We have wireless in the hosue alrady for tico and our laptops.  TIA!</p>

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
<p>I think it actually ONLY has wireless :p You just tell netflix you have a wii and they'll send you a disc to put in that lets you stream video. Its really pretty slick :)</p>

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
<p>So cool!! thank you!.  I thought it steamed via your computer to the Wii so you can watch on TV instead of your computer screen.  D'Oh!</p>

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
<p>We have a Wii and 2 Xbox360s, we are thinking about getting a PS3 eventually as well.  The Wii rarely gets used, DS likes the various Mario games on it, but that is about it.  He loves the Xbox360 and we have half a dozen games that we own that he can play on it.  At 3 1/2 he can play some of the games better then me.  We are careful about what games we get him, but there is a variety of family friendly games on the Xbox and DS actually finds it easier to use then the Wii.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If I had to do it again I am not sure I would get a Wii, it just doesn't get much use at all in our house.</p>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts