Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you rural mamas use Wild Blue satellite for your internet or are you all on Dial-Up? Are you happy with your Wild Blue?

Might be a moot point, as the Satellite people are having a hard time finding a clear southern window of sky...too many trees...so perhaps we will just have to bite the bullet with dialup forever????

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
lots of folks out here have wild blue and they like it. we looked into it but, it was too much for us to swing, we had a feeling we would go WAY over on usage unless we bought the maximum package. so we are on the town wireless (one of the perks of living in a town impacted by burning man) or dial-up when it goes down.

we are about an hour and a half from any other town wo we are very rural, we just lucked out that burning man is here and they need a huge pipeline for their business when they are out here and they generously gifted the town the wireless system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We were beta testers for Wild Blue. We had them for three years. Their service deteriorated over that time. Mostly in the third year. We had verizon wireless for awhile, and they were very good, but we didn't like the cost. Now we have DSL through our local radio phone service, and it's preforming fantastic.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
We're on verizon's "high speed" wireless... it works OK. I think it'd work way better if we were somewhere where we got a decent signal (I usually have 1 bar...). But, then again, if we got a decent signal we'd probably have access to DSL/Cable so the point would be moot... :grumble:

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
We did have dial up and switched to Wild Blue a few years ago. It's much faster, but still not as good as DSL. I would dump Wild Blue in a second if DSL became available to us. We lose our signal about once a day (for 30 seconds) and have trouble reconnecting sometimes. If it doesn't automatically reconnect, then I have to shut everything down and restart the entire system. That is really irritating when I'm involved with something. We also have problems when there is a storm and it will drop the signal constantly. I guess my biggest complaint is that it's not very reliable. I want to be connected at all times.

All that being said, I much prefer it to dial up but it's by no means ideal.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
We have too many trees for wild blue or other satellite systems, there is no DSL/cable here either, and no land line phones.

We have Sprint wireless and it's been pretty good. The signal vanishes about half an hour before a change in weather and it's not great during heavy snow, but it does work.

If you look at wireless systems definately check with your neighbors and with the system tech people and don't sign any agreements until you're sure the signal is strong enough for your needs... different networks have much different signal strength/coverage. The famikly at the bottom of our hill has a different wireless network that works great for them but has no coverage at all on our property and we're only a few minutes away (ok, yes, a significant elevation change but not a long distance).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.