Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS turns four in a couple of weeks and this is the first year he has expressed a preference about his party. He wants it small, only three friends, is really his only condition. All the friends will be boys and since they are all almost four they tend to be a bit, well, wild. Very joyfully, wonderfully wild, but you know, crazed, screaming, poo-poo talking, wrestling and playing kind of guys.<br><br>
I thought I'd capitalize on that for a party and come up with some props that would be fun for them to play with. I can't imagine planning actual games because I don't want to herd them to do anything and they seem to have terrific imaginations. I don't want anyone getting hurt or damaging property, but aside from that I'm okay with most wild stuff. My friends who are the parents coming are open, too.<br><br>
Does anybody with a child exiting the fours have anything to add to my list of props for their play [mind you, winter party, so water isn't an option]. I wanted to provide sticks, rope, tools for digging, tools for "fixing" things [sticks, logs, plants, what have you]. We have a creek at the end of our street that's nice to throw rocks in, we have a tree that can be climbed, an empty lot and kind neighbor beyond who owns it and doesn't mind a herd of whooping boys. I figure they will come up with good stuff if I supply the props. What other good props could I give? Tarps, blankets, brushes of some sort? I was even going to give them the opportunity to hammer some nails into old dead tree trunks [DS LOVES this]. Since the group is small and there will be plenty of parents we could handle hammers and nails. Other ideas? Cardboard boxes for shelters maybe?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hmmm... My kid's school just dramatized <i>Where the Wild Things Are.</i> The kids loved it. It was part of a bigger picture curriculum goal that wouldn't be appropriate for a birthday party, but a few of the "fun" things they did were:<br><br>
Read <i>Where the Wild Things Are.</i><br><br>
Talk about times they were "wild things." (The kids LOVED to tell how they were "bad" to a totally nonjudgmental adult!)<br><br>
They "sailed away" on an imaginary boat on a large blue piece of fabric.<br><br>
They "made rumpus" with the wild things by jumping on bubble wrap and other noisy,active things.<br><br>
They drew their own "wild things" and also created "wild things" using food products. The younger ones (three year olds) made "deviled egg" faces with olive slices, red pepper slices, alfalfa sprouts (hair, beard) and so forth.<br><br>
They sculpted "wild things" with modeling clay.<br><br>
I wish I could remember more! Sounds like an awesome theme!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts