Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to Waldorf as a parent. I attended years ago as a young kid. In your experience are the children that attend Waldorf school wilder then your typical child. I am starting to wonder from some of the kids I run into. Also my mom seems to think they are from when I went to Waldorf school. Would you say they are more likey to do things that a child raised conventionally wouldn't do or would get in trouble for doing?

Thanks in advance.
-Heather

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
well, I'm not any kind of Waldorf expert and just have one son starting W, so I am not sure if I can answer what you are asking, but I'll try. Actually- I'm not quite sure what answers you are looking for! what do you mean by "wild"? What age kids are you talking about? What do you think is a "typical" child? What situations are you running into kids in that seem so unusual to you? What is being "raised conventionally" (and do you think lots of mothering.com members would consider themselves to be doing that??) Yes, I imagine Waldorf parents (besides me) let their kids get dirty and play with sticks and mud and climb on trees or what have you and be outside in all weather.

I don't think the kids in my son's Waldorf kindergarten seem out of the ordinary. the kids around our neighborhood seem just as rambunctious as the school friends, just as likely to tease and torment one another, etc. But, there may be some self-selection that goes on- parents who send their kids to W schools are obviously not too concerned with things like early academic achievement, and believe in the importance of unstructured play and letting "kids be kids" for the first 7 years. And the younger ones anyway shouldn't be spending afternoons inside doing homework or watching tv/dvds, so, maybe they are more visible and more active as a result.

My son is very physical. He's big, strong, coordinated, and has a strong drive to use his gross motor skills, as well as excellent fine motor skills and a great interest in doing that kind of work as well. I think Waldorf kindy is a good match for him because that physical energy and learning through body and hands is not only permitted, it is considered important and valuable.

I don't consider my son in the least bit "wild" but I know to some parents he seems wild and daring (more what he'll try in terms of physical stuff, also in his desire for independence/self care, not so much behavior). To me, its just his personality, he's always been this way, and if I tried to stop him, I think I'd have a miserable situation. I really don't think I made him this way, and certainly not his school.

I actually see the Waldorf kindergarten emphasis (at least in his school) on rhythm, and on helping the children to move between moments of calm and inward focus back to activity as something good for him, something that will serve him well even if we don't continue with Waldorf ed after we move (probably within 2 years).

·
Registered
627 Posts
3.9u0ij

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me explain better. We have come across recently a few waldorf children in the kindergarten age. They seem to be really unfocused and have way to much energy. Their behavior comes of as unrulley, restless and inappropriate. It was hard to get them to focus and play with something. Meeting these children is making me reconsider sending my son to Waldorf school next year. My mom describes the same experience from when my I went for 6 years. They played better at the school but once they were away from the school it all went down hill.
This behavior was not what I consider approraite or would want my son exposed to.

·
Registered
160 Posts
well I can't speak for individual schools or even the Waldorf school movement in general as my DC don't attend one.....but I do think that labeling all children who go to a waldorf school or have been brought up in a waldorf environment as 'unruly, restless and innappropriate' is a huge generalization and to be honest, somewhat offensive.

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
I have not seen that to be true at all. I don't know a huge amount of waldorf schooled kids, but the ones we do know are incredibly sweet, and just seem like normal kids to me.

I believe it has more to do with an individual child's personality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cat2116 View Post
well I can't speak for individual schools or even the Waldorf school movement in general as my DC don't attend one.....but I do think that labeling all children who go to a waldorf school or have been brought up in a waldorf environment as 'unruly, restless and innappropriate' is a huge generalization and to be honest, somewhat offensive.
I am sorry I had no intention on coming off as offensive. I am also a Waldorf parent but have never sent my child to a school. . I was just trying to describe the behavior I observed and was trying to figure out if it was a trait of these particular children and the way they were being raised or something I would see at every Waldorf school. I only have experience with one waldorf school and my mom describes similar behavior from my classmates when I went. I could describe particulars about thier behavior if that would make it more understandable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
I have not seen that to be true at all. I don't know a huge amount of waldorf schooled kids, but the ones we do know are incredibly sweet, and just seem like normal kids to me.

I believe it has more to do with an individual child's personality.
Thanks, THat helps. That's basically what I am wondering. I though maybe it just had to do with individual children's personality and a lack of boundaries given to them by parents.

·
Registered
937 Posts
My two eldest went to Waldorf school from they were seven till fifteen. Judging from them, their friends and other children from their school, I don't have that impression at all! Rather the opposite, if anything. But I'm in Norway - I'm not sure if the Waldorf schools or other schools are comparable to the ones in the US.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobsmommy04 View Post
Let me explain better. We have come across recently a few waldorf children in the kindergarten age. They seem to be really unfocused and have way to much energy. Their behavior comes of as unrulley, restless and inappropriate. It was hard to get them to focus and play with something. Meeting these children is making me reconsider sending my son to Waldorf school next year. My mom describes the same experience from when my I went for 6 years. They played better at the school but once they were away from the school it all went down hill.
This behavior was not what I consider approraite or would want my son exposed to.
Wow. No, in my experience the pre-school and Waldorf kindergartens were remarkably harmonious in that Winnie-the-pooh "hummy" sort of way. Later in the grades the classes can go through rowdy stages, and some teachers just do not have good classroom management skills and the rowdiness is a real problem. I don't perceive these cases to be more rowdy than the average these days though. Several friends of mine left teaching altogether because they just couldn't stand the chronic discipline issues they had to deal with now. My children's public school classrooms were much worse overall. But it's never a good thing, no matter where the problem is, so I don't blame you for having reservations.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
hmm...I think like any other aspect of Waldorf, you may see different things at different schools.

That's not been my experience, actually even an IL of mine called the children (not to their faces!) "stepford kids," at my son's 3rd birthday b/c they were so well behaved and played so nicely, presumable compared to the other relatives she had of the same age.

There are all sorts of temperaments and activity levels, from what I have seen.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
am sorry I had no intention on coming off as offensive. I am also a Waldorf parent but have never sent my child to a school. . I was just trying to describe the behavior I observed and was trying to figure out if it was a trait of these particular children and the way they were being raised or something I would see at every Waldorf school. I only have experience with one waldorf school and my mom describes similar behavior from my classmates when I went. I could describe particulars about thier behavior if that would make it more understandable.
sorry if I misunderstood...I have pm'd you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.