Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question for you all!

My ds has, since birth not been a great latcher at the breast. He doesn't take in much areola under the nipple and tends to clamp down his jaw towards the nipple. When I remove the nipple from his mouth (by breaking suction first), the nipple is all stretched out, distended and red. It's been four weeks. Do you think it will just get better in time as his mouth grows or do I need to be more vigorous in correcting his latch now? Problem is, it seems like I can get a good latch if someone like my midwife is helping me, but once I'm on my own, forget it. And at night, it's even worse--he doesn't want to open his mouth enough to get the correct latch.

Any advice?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am having this exact same problem. My LC recommended cranial sacral therapy. She said maybe he has an issue with the alignment of the jaw and pallette? I'm not sure, but I know I can't get him to hold a good latch, so I 'm going to try it. I hope others have some good suggestions!
Good luck,
Heather

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by poetesss View Post
do I need to be more vigorous in correcting his latch now?
YES! It will really save you a lot of trouble down the road. Have you been to see a lactation consultant? Maybe you just need a few more pointers so you can correctly latch dc on your own.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
You definitely need to stop and re-latch if he doesn't have a good latch. It may sound like a pain, but it will only save you pain in the long run. I really struggled with that with both my boys - I have oversupply with an overactive let-down so they didn't need to latch correctly in order to get "results" and ds1 would latch poorly in order to slow down the flow. I know all about bloody, sore nipples.

Definitely consult with a lactation consultant. You may be able to correct the latch just by being vigorous about it - you may need to use a nipple shield, or you may even need to consider cranial sacrial therapy. But an LC will be able to help you decide what is best for you.

Hang in there...and please get the help you need!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Unlatch. Over and over. I've become more vigourous about this over time. Each of my babies have had a bad clamping latch. They like to reposition themselves on the nipple after latching correctly (argh) or to suck the nipple in.

It is alot of work. You may need to abandon side-lying nursing for a while. Brutal, I know. But until you can get the baby used to latching properly it is for the best. Side lying is probably the hardest position to get a correct latch on.

I found these movies great for showing how it should look.

http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeed...ng/movies.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.