Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one Radian80 and two cars. This morning I am stranded here in my home without a carseat because DP left for work with our only carseat.<br><br>
Our Radian 80 fits in both cars with only about 2 inches of the shell above the seat. The car we would be using the Apex 65 is a chevy lumina I believe its a 92. If the Radian shell fits will, the Apex 65 fit.<br><br>
Denise

·
Registered
632 Posts
I believe that the Radian is about .5 inch taller than the Apex, but the Apex is about 1.5 inches wider at the base.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Does the Lumina have headrests in the back seat? I know a lot of older sedans just have the bench style rear seat. With the Apex carseat you MUST have a high seat back or headrest behind the child's head. If you do not, you can NOT use the apex 65. I just wanted to make sure you understand that. As long as that is okay, then yes, the Apex is shorter than the radian, but a bit wider, but with only 1 child, I assume that is not a problem? So it should fit nicely.<br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I wanted to know. IF the Hieght of the Apex and the Radian were similar. I wanted to make sure the Vehicle seat was tall enough for the APEX<br>
.<br>
Not really interested in the Base width because I only have one child right now..and my step kids will more than likely not ride in that vehicle when they visit.<br><br>
Denise

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Lumina has a fairly short backseat, make sure that your child's head is not above the seat back. The Apex requires the vehicle seat back for support; the seat back must not be below the midpoint of the child's head.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When my DS is sitting in the Radian his head is well below the back of the seat. He's only on the second to top slot with lots of growing room.<br><br>
BTW, I wouldn't use the Apex as a booster seat anyways. Onces he's grown beyond the harness I plan on getting boosters with SIP.<br><br>
Denise

·
Registered
649 Posts
The Apex is a better combination seat than most as far as booster use after the harness is outgrown -- the only other combination seat with deeper head wings is the Recaro Young Sport, but that doesn't harness as long.... Even highback boosters without any head wings are about 70% in side impacts than backless boosters.<br><br>
Anyway: can you measure the vehicle seatback height? IME, except for really short seatbacks, most kids who still fit the harness usually do have enough head support even without vehicle headrests.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I took another looks and it will fit. He has had a growth spurt in the last few months, so I might be able to get a year or so out of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts