Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm craving sweets and maily carb foods so bad. It's all I eat and I know that's really unhealthy. I thought I read somewhere that more protein can help with the cravings? What is good amount and does anyone have ideas on how to get it? Thanks a lot.

· Registered
544 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieB View Post
I'm craving sweets and maily carb foods so bad. It's all I eat and I know that's really unhealthy. I thought I read somewhere that more protein can help with the cravings? What is good amount and does anyone have ideas on how to get it? Thanks a lot.
Maybe try changing the kind of carbs you're eating & lowering the amount instead?

More healthy complex carbs can head off a lot of cravings I've found.

· Registered
5,655 Posts
I crave carbs like crazy when I don't get enough fat and protein. Ideally, fat and protein make up the majority of my calories. Lots of meat, cheese, eggs, milk, nuts, coconut oil and cooking with lots of butter, olive oil, etc.

· Registered
1,614 Posts
You can check out the Brewer Diet (which also has a list of protein counts on it), or this Mayo Clinic site. They both recommend between 70-100 grams of protein per day.

Good protein sources are:
- lean meats
- fish like wild-caught salmon, sardines, anchovies, tilapia
- nuts
- peanut butter
- cottage cheese
- eggs
- legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas) combined with brown rice
- cheese plus wheat
- tofu. tempeh, edamame, or other soy products

For your carbs, try using unprocessed whole grains instead of crackers, pasta, and storebought breads. Barley, quinoa, bulgur wheat, brown rice, millet, oats. You can use them under stirfried veggies, dump pesto or marinara sauce on them, toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and parmesan, chill and combine with tomato, feta, and spinach (and olive oile!) for a salad.

I found it helpful with my last pregnancy to have a checklist of foods/food groups to eat for the day; you know when you've 'maxed out' on any given food and it can guide what you eat for dinner to round out your requirements.

· Registered
1,498 Posts
Upping your protein and fat intake may very well help to curb the carb cravings. I always reach for the protein first and then try to balance it with a healthy carb. Cheese and an apple. Plain yogurt with frozen berries and a sprinkle of nuts or seeds. Hummus or peanut butter with whole grain crackers.

I build all meals around protein and veggie and then have only a bit of brown rice or quinoa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.