Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok now I am sure this is going to sound stupid. But it seems like nothing healthy interest me and a lot of it makes me nasueus. I am drawn to greasy foods and they stay well. and as far as liquids go when i am nasuas the only thing that stays down is COFFEE yes COFFEE what the heck??? I have tried 5 dffrent prenatal vitimins they all make me sick and they come right up, and let me tell you partially digested vitamins are one of the grossest things to come back up(right after tylenol!). I mean i guess i still eat apples sometimes, bannnana's on and off, I like honey cooked carrots (i make them) and pears from a can (in juice not syrup)

I guess the thingis i haven'tbeen taking the prenatal's or the folic acid and I'm afraid that this child won't be as smart as my first or as healthy. I was sick all the time with my first and could only eat plain cheerio's but the prenatal stayed down better.

so some reassurance would be nice, unless I really need to tale the prenatal's. HOw important are they? I really don't want to screw up my kid. advice, suggestions??

Thanks

Courtney

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I've never been able to keep down any prenatals. This is my third pregnancy and it's the same this time. I've tried several different chewables along with the regular tablets. Try not to worry- humans are amazingly resilient. Just do the best you can. That's all anyone can ask! Try to stay hydrated. Whatever fluids you get in are better than none. You'll feel better that way.
And if I may-my boys are smart as a whip, even with my crappy prenatal diet! Don't worry. Your babe will be fine!

Suzy

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
yep, I never took prenatals with my 1st and she is brilliant! :LOL Really, she is very smart and my diet could not have been worse than when I was pg with her. Eat what you can...my motto for this pregnancy (my 2nd) when I was sick was that if anything remotely healthy sounds good, I would eat it right then.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Your baby will be fine. You will use your body's stores of the important minerals to grow her (or him) but then you will be depleted. Keep in mind, though, that the first trimester is notorious for food aversion. I'm of the mind to obey my body. I think it knows what it is doing.

As for folate, it prevents neural tube defects, and you probably get enough in your diet. If you eat any sort of bread that is made in a store, or cereals, then you are getting some. Try not to worry, as you can't really change it now... If it makes you feel any better, I had the same concerns with this pregnancy because I was so sick for so long, I was eating very little.

When you are well into the second and third trimesters, I bet you'll find your appetite increases and your aversions are mostly gone. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Courtney,

I've read that they now believe essential fatty acids (EFAs) are crucial to brain development, but I believe this is most important in the 3rd trimester and while breast feeding. You can get EFAs from fish oil, borage oil, primrose oil, flaxseeds, etc. I saw a book on them at Whole Foods recently, and was rather overwhelmed by all the different types, and what ratios you're supposed to have and so on and so forth. So I just bought a "complete" supplement (from Spectrum, I think), that has fish oil (screened for toxins, lead, PCBs, etc.), flax seed oil and borage oil, I believe. I also put a few teaspoons of ground flaxseed in my fruit smoothie every morning, although I see there's another post asking if flax seed is okay during pregnancy, so it will be interesting to see the responses to that.

Anyway, eat what you can, and don't beat yourself up about it. If you're concerned about brain development, then hopefully by the 3rd trimester you can eat fish, or take an EFA supplement, etc., and "supposedly" that will help. But we've managed to survive as a species thus far!!!

Shana
EDD 7/29/05

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i have been having the alloted amount of fish and shrimp. So that should help. Thanks for all your replies.

Courtney

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
The reason folic acid is recommended even before you know you are pregnant is to prevent a neural tube defect like spina bifida. The neural tube is formed really early in the pregnancy (I forget when), but I believe it is probably already formed b4 morning sickness even hits most people.

If an individual doesn't take folic acid it doesn't mean that she will have a baby with a neural tube defect (the majority won't). But when you look at large populations of women, the incidence of this problem is statistically lower when they take folic acid.

I say do the best you can with eating/taking vitamins and don't beat yourself up over it. Your baby won't be stupid! :LOL Here is a nice little piece my midwife wrote about nutrition during pregnancy for a local paper (it's a pdf):
http://www.merr.com/users/ingrid/cnm/pdfs/nutrio.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.