Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
5,232 Posts
Courtney,

I've read that they now believe essential fatty acids (EFAs) are crucial to brain development, but I believe this is most important in the 3rd trimester and while breast feeding. You can get EFAs from fish oil, borage oil, primrose oil, flaxseeds, etc. I saw a book on them at Whole Foods recently, and was rather overwhelmed by all the different types, and what ratios you're supposed to have and so on and so forth. So I just bought a "complete" supplement (from Spectrum, I think), that has fish oil (screened for toxins, lead, PCBs, etc.), flax seed oil and borage oil, I believe. I also put a few teaspoons of ground flaxseed in my fruit smoothie every morning, although I see there's another post asking if flax seed is okay during pregnancy, so it will be interesting to see the responses to that.

Anyway, eat what you can, and don't beat yourself up about it. If you're concerned about brain development, then hopefully by the 3rd trimester you can eat fish, or take an EFA supplement, etc., and "supposedly" that will help. But we've managed to survive as a species thus far!!!

Shana
EDD 7/29/05

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.