Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember how early my MW used the doppler thingy in my first pregnancy. I have an appt in a few days and wonder if she'll use it.

I haven't had a LOT of pregnancy symptoms and am a little worried. Do you think I can ask her to use it? I'd feel so much better if I could confirm a heart beat, just not sure if they can pick one up that early.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I strongly doubt she'd even try. Doppler usually can't pick it up until closer to 12 weeks, and sometimes even a week or two after that. The best way to hear the heartbeat at that stage of pregnancy is to get a transvaginal u/s, but I personally wouldn't get one just to hear the heartbeat. I know it's difficult, but try to be patient. You'll likely start feeling more symptoms in the next few weeks, and in about 5 weeks, you'll be able to hear the heartbeat with the doppler most likely.

You say you haven't had a "LOT" of pregnancy symptoms... At 7 weeks, I wouldn't expect a lot of symptoms.
I'll bet if you write down the symptoms you do have, you'll find that it's a pretty good amount of symptoms, and that should make you feel better. Alot of times we think "Oh, I'm not getting symptoms... except slight queasiness, slight breast soreness, having to pee a little more, expanding waistline...", as we list all the normal symptoms.
And I think if you're going to do any throwing up (probably the symptom you're waiting for?), it would likely happen between 8-12 weeks. But not all women throw up. In two pregnancies, I've never thrown up in the first trimester. This pregnancy, I had one bout of throwing up around 16 weeks, but it was probably a stomach bug of some sort. I actually felt pretty good through most of the first trimester, and never went off my normal diet or anything! Gained 12 lbs that trimester.
:

The first trimester is so hard... You're worried about m/c, and then either you're sick as a dog the whole time or you're not sick at all and are wondering if everything is ok. You just can't win! But it will pass, and you'll be in the 2nd trimester before you know it, feeling those little kicks and jabs that remind you that baby is in there. I get those reminders in my bladder everyday.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
my midwife said its rate for her to get heartbeat before about 10 weeks using the doppler. with dd, i dont think MW used the doppler at the 1st appt.
she will probably do an internal exam, so having that come out will will probably soothe your nerves. that and a pint of chocolate ice cream

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
My midwives don't even offer to doppler before 12 weeks,a nd they certainly don't do routine internal exams.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Most likely you may just have an internal u/s like boscopup had said. Then you would be able to see the not hear the heartbeat. That's what I had from my OB at 6 and 1/2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
I think that's too early. Not sure though as I didn't allow doppler in pregnancy.

-Angela
Well, thanks so much for the veiled criticism.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
You're seeing things that aren't there..... sorry- just giving my experience as accurately as possible.

If you read my posts, you'll find I don't ever bother to veil any of my opinions

-Angela

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
You're seeing things that aren't there..... sorry- just giving my experience as accurately as possible.

If you read my posts, you'll find I don't ever bother to veil any of my opinions

-Angela
OK, no worries. I was feeling defensive b/c I know there are anti-doppler people here. It's not something I'm personally opposed to, obviously.

Chalk it up to preggo hormone talk.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
If you're interested there are several threads here about concerns about u/s and doppler being a stronger form. If you're not- that's cool too

-Angela

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Nah, no way would you hear a thing. You could probably *see* a heartbeat on a transvaginal ultrasound at 7 weeks, though.

I heard nothing even at 10-11 weeks in my first two pregnancies.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I don't know...I went to an OB with my first and I was only 6.5 weeks along at my first appt. He was able to find the heart beat although he had warned me that it may be way too early. I don't know if it would make any difference but I was really fit then and very thin...so maybe less tissue for it to go through?

You can always ask her to try. Just don't freak out if she can't find it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FOLLOWUP:

Well, I guess I'm glad that this thread didn't talk me out of internal exams or having an u/s done. My gut instinct was right, the pregnancy had ended.

If I hadn't had those overly invasive procedures done, I'd still be happily sitting around with the mistaken idea that I was having a baby in March.

I guess sometimes a little medical intervention is a useful thing after all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.