Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bad tear with first birth 3 yrs ago. It was homebirth, but such long labor I ended up flat on my back for pushing stage(2 hrs.). Also, ds basically shot across the room with the final push! Anyway, after many stitches I healed really well, no problems with it. So I really believe that natural tears can heal beautifully.<br><br>
But...will I tear again? Should it be on the top of my priority list to labor in upright position? Perineal massage? Will episiotomy even enter the equation because of it?<br><br>
Midwife is awesome. But I need to know if I should be doing something proactive to prepare. I'm 36 weeks, birth plan discussion with midwife tomorrow. I'm just looking for a frame of reference...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had a 2nd degree tear with my first, who was 5 lbs 15 oz. In her case I started pushing too soon and didn't wait for the urge to push. My second baby was 8lbs 6 oz and I had no tearing what so ever. I waited until I felt the urge to push and I believe that's why things went better, even though he was so much bigger.<br><br>
Good Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts