Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my student loans put in deferment status because I'm a SAHM (no income) and DH wasn't working much. We needed a little extra help. We also just applied for an overdraft line of credit at the credit union, and the guy told us our credit scores (since we asked). I was surprised that mine was so much lower than DH's since we pretty much have the same stuff (mostly joint accounts). I had filed a dispute about another matter, and while looking over the report I see that my student loans list as being in deferment. I was just wondering if that would lower my credit score. I didn't think to ask the rep from the student loan company about it when I applied for the deferment.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
The loan itself, nto the deferment would effect your score. From what I understand, your score is partially calculated by ontime payment, partially by debt to income ratio, etc. If you owe a bunch of money, it lowers your score. IME, deferrment actually can help your score b/c those payments don't 'count' as money owed while it's in deferment.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I also found out that it doesn't affect it. I have one loan deferred right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts