Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we did not find out with ethan - but I have this desire to find out what I am having this time...still up in the air though. Will have to see how I am feeling the day of the ultrasound.

I did the chinese lunar calendar and it tells me I am having a girl...

Alicia

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
No. We didn't find out with DD and we're not doing u/s so there's really no opportunity. I do want to know, though. If I had a good reason (like the baby clothes seasons were going to be way off or something), maybe I would try to fnd out.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Yes, we will. As I told someone IRL who asked recently, "There's enough drama in the delivery room without adding that into the mix."

We might not *tell* a lot of people, though. I was so annoyed that last time around we got oodles and oodles of baby-blue clothes and little rompers with basketballs and whatnot on them.
: Even though we told people, "No pink or blue, please."
Mostly these were from distant relatives and people who don't know us very well (like my mom's coworkers) so I had to just keep my mouth shut, because it was nice of them to get us a gift at all, y'know?

So I'd kind of like to see what happens this time if we don't specify a gender. Will we be awash in mint green and yellow?!?! Prolly.

~Nick

·
Registered
502 Posts
No, we won't. We didn't last time, and I liked not knowing. Everyone else was bugging the heck out of me about it, and I am sure they will again...but it's my decision. DH kinda likes that last minute surprise too.

I really thought I was having a girl last time, I was just certain! But he is a boy.
So I guess I can't put much stock in the intuition thing.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
We don't want to find out, but if we go on our medicalized route ( which I am getting more and more upset about) we will be having several more ultrasounds before this baby is born. I think that one of those will prolly be a frontal. Ugh.

I think it's a boy. Chinese calendar says its a boy. In fact, if he was due a day before or after or I was a year older, he would be a girl! Actually, now that the due dates have changed, I think the calendar DOES say he will be a girl
!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't think we will be finding out this time around. I kind of want it to be a suprise. Also my MIL drove us crazy last time even after we found out that our baby was a girl she kept saying "So what are you going to name him?" grrr She's already started in on us this time about her "grandson" It's almost like she won't be happy with another granddaughter if that's what she gets. So frustrating.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Gender, a social construct separate from sex, cannot be foretold while in utero. Just a reminder from your friendly neighborhood feminist!

That said, I will not be finding out the sex because I am not having any ultrasounds. Also, it will be neat to have it be a surprise. I'm guessing girl, though.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottmama
Gender, a social construct separate from sex, cannot be foretold while in utero. Just a reminder from your friendly neighborhood feminist!
Gosh, that sounds nice to hear from someone else for once! You don't know how many people I've confused trying to explain this; I had almost given up.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Yup, I think we are going to find out. We didn't want to.. but the more I thought of it the more I wanted that little extra to bond with. I have two girls now, so if its a boy.. I want to be able to shop and get special things for him like I did the girls. If its a girl.. she gets hand-me-downs. :LOL
:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottmama

That said, I will not be finding out the sex because I am not having any ultrasounds. Also, it will be neat to have it be a surprise. I'm guessing girl, though.
You know that "girl" indicates gender, not sex, right?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
:LOL

Just loving the sex vs gender mini-conversation going on here. You totally made my day. Ah, memories of Women's Studies classes. Whoo.

Okay. Back to the main topic.

We do plan to find out the sex. I'm too old (at 34) for surprises, honestly. We also want to be able to prepare ourselves and the extended family if it is not the female everyone wants. There are 6 grandchildren and they're ALL male. We know that regardless of sex, the babe will be loved. It's just better to be able to forewarn folk.

(there. how was that for keeping to sex-appropriate terminology?
)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Id really like to know this time. It was a surprise the last 2 babies and this one will be born in a totally different season so Id like to plan more. Plus already having 1 boy and 1 girl Im not rooting for one or the other, im perfectly happy with either

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.