Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br><br>
My family and I are moving to the Wilmington area this summer. I have been looking at houses and have found a few in Leland. What's the town like? Is it safe, how are the schools? I saw they have a charter school, have any of your children attended? We have a family of five boys and two dogs. Any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
116 Posts
We live near Raleigh right now, but looked at Leland about a year ago. Some areas are iffy but for the most part it is newly built up and growing nicely. My husband built a huge waterfall at a subdivision entry there and that got us thinking and looking at homes.....I'm not sure about the schools because we did not get that far. But, we loved the area and the fact that it is close to Wilmington, Wrightsville, and Carolina Beach areas. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hi, I'm from Wilmington and went to school there, so I can give you some info. I don't know as much about Leland schools. Although there are lots of nice new subdivisions in Leland. The other thing that can be annoying is the commuter traffic between Leland and Wilmy-a 15 min trip can take an hour at 5.<br><br>
If I could choose, I would just live in Wilmington instead of Leland (I have relatives in Wilm, Leland, and Castle Hayne), but that's because everything I would want to do would require driving into town anyway.<br><br>
Wilm. Schools:<br>
High schools: all are 4A. I went to Laney and most people I know went or are attending, so I'm partial to it, though it is a bit older. Ashley is newest and has great resources. The only one I wouldn't want my child to attend in the New Hanover system is New Hanover HS. The Isaac Bear early college program is growing--I have 2 friends who teach there and they are fabulous teachers with masters degrees and continuing ed.<br><br>
Middles: really none of them are that great, but I find that with most middle schools in NC due to behavioral issues. Noble and Roland Grise have good teachers. Trask also has good teachers, but tends to have "rough" kids (bomb threats, etc). DH and I went to Trask and it was no big deal, but I would prefer my child to go elsewhere.<br><br>
Elementary: Ogden and Eaten would be my choices. Wrightsboro is not bad, either, though I don't know as many people whose kids attended. It has been recently remodeled.<br><br>
There are also some private schools that I have relatives who have attended (Christian and Secular). If you want info on those, PM me. I don't want to put my assessment on here.<br><br>
I can also give you more info on specific schools if you are wondering who is strong in arts, music, ROTC, or other programs. HTH!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts