Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me if I'm reading too much into this

We have a huge book which contains all the Winnie the Pooh stories (I think there are two books together in this one). We were reading one story a night at bedtime and finally read the last one last night.

The last story is very sad. He never comes out and says exactly what is happening but Christopher Robin is going away and won't be around to play with everyone anymore. I was pretty confused for a bit wondering what was happening. I thought maybe he was moving away from the woods. So then he (CR) tells Pooh how his favorite thing in the world to do is "Nothing" and then goes on to say -

"When I'm - when - Pooh!"

"Yes, Christopher Robin?"

"I'm not going to do Nothing any more."

"Never again?"

"Well, not so much. They don't let you."

It was at that point I suddenly thought that CR is going to school. I teared up reading the rest to my dd because it was so dang sad what with all the "never forget me" stuff (well, it WAS late at night and I had a headache to boot :LOL ) She asked why CR was going away and I explained that he was going to school and would have to sit at a desk and "learn" and so he couldn't play with all his toys in the woods anymore. I told her we should change the ending so that CR was homeschooled so he could play all he wanted

Anyway, this morning I was thinking that he (Milne) was probably not talking about school exactly, but about growing up. But then, in some ways, school is connected to the idea of growing. The idea that kids are now old enough to sit at a desk and pay attention to the teacher for X hours a day because they are growing up. So yeah, in a way, homeschooling (at least the way I intend to do it) is not going to be such a harsh division between the world of "little kid" and "growing up".

Ok, I'm really rambling now :LOL Am I just reading too much into Winnie the Pooh here? Or was CR going off to join the Navy or something?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Shannon -

Ever since I was a child, I thought that CR was going off to school. It's funny how often I notice that negative experiences about school are just about assumed in a great deal of children's literature - especially the classics! Of course, many of them were written by British writers, and England is notorious for having a harsh education system.

Laura :-(

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think you're right! And he was probably going to some boarding school that started at age 7 with total bullying and harassment to boot (anyone read Roald Dahl's Boy, or Robert Graves' Goodbye to All that, etc etc? Major theme for these poor Brits
).

·
Premium Member
15,225 Posts
That is a wonderful observation. It is one of the main reasons we decided to hs..to blur the lines a bit, and give dd a real childhood. Did I say that out loud?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I remember reading the beginning of "Little Men" years and years ago. One of the boys likes reading about fairies and stuff like that, but they constantly discourage him. He says that he knows he must force himself to go into practical things and forget about fairies, that too much fairy stuff at a late age (I don't think he was very old!) was not healthy. I felt so bad for him, because it wasn't fun for him and he wasn't ready to let go of free childhood dreams.

Speaking of bullying, boarding schools and Brits, it makes me think of Eustace in the Chronicles of Narnia. It went on a lot about how he was bullied so much in school; I really could relate to that though.

Perhaps, in older literature, not necessarily British, there's a different idea of what childhood should involve, more practicality and stuff. :-(

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I remember reading the stories as a child. I have always thought the same thing - CR is going off to school. Even Disney interpreted it that way. If you watch The Search For Christopher Robin, it starts off with that interchange, about not being able to do "nothing" anymore. Then CR leaves a note to Pooh about going off to school, which Pooh misinterprets and they go on a search for him.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, this has turned into such a sad thread :LOL I was wondering if I was being too literal in thinking he was going off to school (or if I only thought that because I homeschool) but I see I'm not the only one thinking that way.

Meanwhile, my dd decided to just have me start again at the beginning. They do make nice bedtime stories

1 - 10 of 10 Posts