Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is turning one next week. She's my first and I don't know anyone else with a toddler who lives in a non-tropical climate.

Last winter we bundled DD in one of those bunting things that had a hole for her carseat straps. We live in the midwest so we don't have too many subzero days, and for the most part, she is only going to be going from the house to our unattached garage and from the car into the store, building, etc.

What do you / did you use with your 12 mos - 18 mos old toddlers at this age? Do I buy a snow suit? It seems like she's going to fight putting something like that on and then overheat in the car, but maybe I'm wrong? If we ever got stranded, I would worry that a coat might not be warm enough though.

Thanks. m

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
i was going to post the same thing. last winter when Aidan was your DD's age, we did the same thing w/a bunting. those thick heavy coats are not meant to be worn in carseats; they are not safe. i did end up buying a winter coat @old navy for $20 for when we took walks in the sling and such.

i have NO idea what i'm going to do this year as Aidan is presently 19 months old and, i think he will be playing in the snow and such this year. so we definately need a snowsuit and something else for the car......if anyone has any ideas for me too, i'd love to hear them

amy

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I live in South Carolina & we dont have many awfully cold days

I like the Fleece lined sweatshirt jackets with hoods old Navy sells..

I usuall do buy a thick winter coat though ..I can normally find those at walmart cheep (dont use enough to pay alot of $$$) .. I bought my sons a size big 3 years ago & he hasent grown much since & hes only wore it 2 times! lol

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
They are a little expensive, but I bought one of the 4-in-1 coats from Gymboree...it is two seperate coats, one of which is reversible, that zip together to make a very warm coat. They are 79 dollars in the store, but I bought mine new with tags on ebay for 50. I plan on buying some snowpants for playing outside...just some cheap ones, cause I don't anticipate her being in the snow all that often.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well, living in AZ, but we make frequent trips back to the Chicago area.

As a former CPS tech, I first have to say it isn't considered safe to use a heavy jacket in a car seat. The reason being that its hard to get the straps tight enough, the coat could compress during an accident and might give enough slack to allow the child to be ejected from the seat. So the official recomendation was nothing heavier than a fleece jacket while in the carseat, but putting a blanket or a heavy coat on top of the straps if needed for warmth. The bonus of this method is that it is easy to remove the blanket once the car is heated so the child isn't too warm. To put a jacket on on top of the straps, put it on backwards with the arms on the child so it is on top like a blanket but doesn't slip off as easily.

We bought a separate coat and bib snow pants for our trips to Chicago last year- separate parts made it easier to dress according to the activity. DS was 18 months. We didn't use either in the car but I brought them along in the car (as well as a blanket) in case of emergency.

Kaye

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
We went to REI and got ds (then just turning two) some *excellent* snow pants, boots, gloves (that actually stay on!), long underwear (Patagonia), and wool socks last year. We also got him an awesome coat from L.L. Bean - hooded and quilted with a drawstring at the waist. He was *never* cold even in freezing temperatures and playing (read rolling and falling) in the snow.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucysmama
They are a little expensive, but I bought one of the 4-in-1 coats from Gymboree...it is two seperate coats, one of which is reversible, that zip together to make a very warm coat. They are 79 dollars in the store, but I bought mine new with tags on ebay for 50. I plan on buying some snowpants for playing outside...just some cheap ones, cause I don't anticipate her being in the snow all that often.
I bought one of these coats for my ds at www.childrensplace.com for $39.50

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
whoo hoo!!!

i just won a gently used hanna andersson snowsuit off of eBay for my son. $25!!

i think we'll just find some fleecey thing for the car.

amy

edited b/c i'm

·
Registered
442 Posts
Piggybacking on the don't use thick heavy coats in carseats comments....

We get Land's End Squall Parkas (they have jackets too) for dd. They are great...have Polartec fleece linings, are SUPER warm and are very thin. I then get her bib snow pants for playing outside in the snow.

The thinness of the jacket allows use w/ the car seat harnesses w/o compression in an accident. AND they are great jackets :)

They are pricey, but well worth the $$ IMHO. Dd's first winter when she wasn't walking yet we got her a full length LE fleece...and it worked out great. Last year we started w/ the Parka/bib pants combo. Both items are in PERFECT condition they wear great. I got a magenta parka and navy snow pants...that way I can use the snow pants w/ #2 (when the time comes) no matter the sex.

LE items have excellent resale value on ebay and LE has a great overstock section (tab on top of their webpage) where you can get 30%+ off the regular price.

HTH

Christine

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all of your responses. I will check LE and Childrens Place for good combo type outfits. I'm sure she won't be playing in the snow often, so this is a great idea. thanks again!

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
We used the Land's End fleece one-piece zip outfit at that age for my first. My second just wore a coat- he was running around/ climbing playgrounds at 10 months and was so active he did well in a coat, pants and boots.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I was going to recommend the Lands End Squall parkas as well. They are the perfect coat for car seats and really hold up well. My middle dd wore hers all last winter and it still looks brand new. I just bought another one for my oldest for the winter and a second for my middle dd.
The local Sears stores here carry the Squall Parka's as well. HTH

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
My mother bought my daughter a LLBean toddler parka(I forget the name but it's the fleecy inside and waterproof outside with the flowers around the outside of the hood) and she wore it last year and will wear it again this year. I went to target and bought a pair of bib style snowpants for cheap to go underneath and I made her double layer fleece mittens and she wears a knit hat(the homemade kind from grandma with the pom pom on top!) underneath the snow hood. We are outside ALL winter and we live in Rhode Island so it's a HUGE issue for us. We spend a lot of time in central Maine also because my sister goes to school at UMaine Orono and we visit often. I found that dressed in a long sleeve shirt and long pants and this jacket and snowpants she was fine. Never cold. We stay outside for 2 hours at a time in
February with no problem. I LOVE the LLBean jacket. It's sort of expensive(I think it's about $60) but maybe EBay would have it???? Definitely worth the money you pay for it! Plus the sizes run a tad big so an old toddler would most likely get 2 years out of it.
Meg

·
Registered
167 Posts
has anyone tried this one step ahead "grow with me" snowsuit?

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp...755&change=117

I was thinking about buying one because it is a 2 piece snowsuit, so that the coat can be wore separately. Plus it might fit for more than one season.

I am wondering about the sizes though. DD is just 21 pounds but has just started wearing 2T pants because of her big cloth diaper bum. The sizes are 12months-2t and 3t-4t.

A couple months ago I almost bought one on clearance but I thought at the time the size said 2t-4t in one size.

Do these run big? Do they work well? I think the price it $59.
I also love those hanna anderson ones. Maybe a size 90 would also fit for more than one season?

·
Registered
931 Posts
never used a car seat cover. I put Julia in a fleece jacket w/ a blanket over the car seat. My local car seat tech really stressed that babies should not wear bulky clothing in the carseat - because it compresses. I also wouldn't use a car seat cover or snowsuit in the car because the baby will get overheated. I figured it was not really important to dress julia that warm - because she was only spending a few minutes outside going from the house to the car.

This year I got Julia a car coat and a play coat. The play coat come w/ snow pants. I keep a few extra blankets in the car in case we got stuck somewhere.

If you want something warmer than a jacket Lands End has a nice bunting that is much better than a bulky snowsuit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts