Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, mamas! I'm a SAHM to my almost 3 year old DS and 14 month old DD. I'm also pg and expecting baby #3 in May. I provide care to a 19 month old little boy most days, too.

We typically spend a lot of time outside. Now that the cold weather is setting in, we're inside 95% of the time.
: Some things we do are:

playdough
color/paint
build with blocks
Ds loves to "help" me cook

It's rare that we get in the car and go anywhere. I don't mind taking my 2 places, but don't even attempt it when the other little boy is here.

Please, please, please share your daily goings-on when it's too cold to play outside.

And I know how to spell activities!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hello fellow ohio'n

I have been thinking/planning the same thing....

My husband and I bought our 17 month old son a climber to be used in doors. We are hoping that it will help him stay active.

Arts and crafts are always a good one too!
Play groups/play dates might be fun as well.

I will be watching this posting as well for more great ideas! Thanks for asking this question to the other fellow mommies!

Take Care ~ Rachel

·
Registered
159 Posts
We try to keep many table time activities in the house..all different kinds of puzzles, lacing beads, shape sorter, pegboard (discovery toys had a great one with stackable peg blocks- good for lacing too ) we love Laurie puzzles, art supplies of all kinds, play dough (making your own is really fun). Rubber stamps, a hole punch can be great fun, little odds and ends and some glue, stickers...

We also do a lot of baking together. They love to play dress up, (now is a great time to add new fun things to your dress up collection, after halloween the prices are even better! We get a lot of things from the local ARC thrift store, they have a halloween section with plenty of fun costumes and dress up accessories super cheap!

We have a Play Hut tunnel and a mini trampolene (how do you spell that??) and I make a obstacle course with a puzzle suited for their age ( a peg puzzle for my little one, and a 25 piece with tray for my older kids.) We dump the puzzle at one end and put the pieces at the other. They have to pick up a piece, jump on the tramp 10-20 times (work on counting), hop across some throw pillows, go through the tunnel, and then put the puzzle piece where it goes. I make it longer or shorter depending on how old the kids are that are playing. It's good for running out energy, and fine motor skills as well! They love it.

My kids also love books on tape, building blocks, legos, kid connects, wedgits, lincoln logs. The wooden train has to be their indoor favorite.

The little ones like to play a game of using the tongs (ice tongs work great) and picking up little things ( cotton balls, rubber jacks, mini koosh balls) and put them into a cup. We also use clothes pins to pick up. They also like to sit and clothes pins into a milk jug.

Oh another activity they really liked was, I kept a collection of bottles and jars with lids. I asked family members to save them for me, and gathered a collection of 15 or so, all different sizes and kinds - soda bottles, juice, speg. sauce, peanut butter, & pickle jars, empty spice bottles, any just make sure they are clean. Then I set them out and took off all of the lids, and they had to find the jar that the lid went to. They would do this over and over, I would take out some and replace with new kinds to keep it chalenging. We they grew tired of it I just set them out for recycling. This was amusing for everybody from the 3 yr olds to the 12 yr.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Inside? HAH

Stuff em into the snow suit and let them go to town making a fort or something.

Screw staying inside %95 of the time. Just because there's snow on the ground doesn't mean you have to stay inside.

It wont kill ya...

Oy...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
man alive, i hate the cold. i never go outside, and my kids won't unless I am. Too bad.

I like your jar idea happy

·
Registered
573 Posts
It's spring here but in the winter that passed(we wnet outside obviously) but DD played with blocks, playdough all day in Winter without getting bored (as she was (12-13 months)

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Funny, I hate the heat, so, we actually spend more time outdoors in the winter than the summer.

Winter is the best time for baking, though! We make tons of child friendly baked goods.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
Funny, I hate the heat, so, we actually spend more time outdoors in the winter than the summer.

Winter is the best time for baking, though! We make tons of child friendly baked goods.
When I lived in Ontario, DH was in another town for the week, and that left me and DD to our own devices for that time. Which meant, during the winter, if it snowed *I* Had to shovel the driveway/sidewalk.

I hate shoveling snow, but I just stuffed DD in her snowsuit, grabbed the shovel and went to town, I gave her a little toy shovel and she "helped" She made snow angels and tried to make a snowman. After I was done shoveling I helped her make her snowman and we had snow fights, she "tried" to make snowballs but it didn't really work out and I used to paff her with soft snow balls, we had a riot People thought we were crazy as loons.

Then we went inside and had some warm cocoa with marshmallows and some stories.

winter time IS Fun. We now live in an area where it doesn't snow, much, well....it snows up in the mountains but there is no snow down here..just rain mostly..

We plan on making family ski trips next Ski season. Teach her how to ski, and whatnot...

I never really minded the winter. and you should see how HARD kids pass out after a day out in the snow, holeee cow. You come back in, feed em supper and not even 20 minutes later they are passed out for the count.

Heck if DD and I went anywhere for a walk I just put her in her little pull along taboggan and dragged her behind me. It was so funny one time we went to pick up a parcel at the Canex, and there was a bored Chief Warrant Officer there, and he took my DD up a snow bank and down a snow bank did donuts with her in the sled and everything, she thought it was a hoot! she laughed so hard she couldn't catch her breath.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Screw staying inside %95 of the time. Just because there's snow on the ground doesn't mean you have to stay inside.

It wont kill ya...

Oy...

Wow! I didn't mean to make it sound like we didn't go outside at all. We do and DS enjoys it. I don't know how DD, who isn't walking yet, will handle it. I also have to get them snowsuits and boots (maybe we'll ask for those for Christmas). AND I have to talk with the little boy's mom and see what her thoughts are and if he has the necessary clothing.

I appreciate all the suggestions! I love the jar and bottle idea, too!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Our kids favorite inside things right now are filling the sink with water adn bubbles and playing with different containers in the bubbles. i strip them down to keep their clothes from getting soaked. They will play for an hour like that! They also are into playing hopscotch (or hopscop as DS calls it) in the basement. And we have these puzzle tiles that are soft (not sure how to describe them) that make a floor puzzle. They are 4 x 4 and we made them into 2 long strips that the kids use for a balance beam. While I am nursing DS2 they other 2 kids practice on their beams - I give them different things to try as their skill levels are pretty different!

Hope this helps - would love more solutions as we are going to be in the same boat this winter! I hesitate to keep the baby outside as much as the other kids can stay out there.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dentmom3 View Post
Our kids favorite inside things right now are filling the sink with water adn bubbles and playing with different containers in the bubbles. i strip them down to keep their clothes from getting soaked. They will play for an hour like that! They also are into playing hopscotch (or hopscop as DS calls it) in the basement. And we have these puzzle tiles that are soft (not sure how to describe them) that make a floor puzzle. They are 4 x 4 and we made them into 2 long strips that the kids use for a balance beam. While I am nursing DS2 they other 2 kids practice on their beams - I give them different things to try as their skill levels are pretty different!

Hope this helps - would love more solutions as we are going to be in the same boat this winter! I hesitate to keep the baby outside as much as the other kids can stay out there.
Fleece pouch inside an Oversized jacket for you hat on babe's head, buddah carry and have the head pop out to see the action. Babe and you stay nice n toasty. (double the warmth!!!) Older kids get as much outside activity as they want.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2Gabriel03 View Post

It wont kill ya...

Oy...

Wow! I didn't mean to make it sound like we didn't go outside at all. We do and DS enjoys it. I don't know how DD, who isn't walking yet, will handle it. I also have to get them snowsuits and boots (maybe we'll ask for those for Christmas). AND I have to talk with the little boy's mom and see what her thoughts are and if he has the necessary clothing.

I appreciate all the suggestions! I love the jar and bottle idea, too!
Sorry it's just that too many people are getting spleeny at letting their kids outside when there's snow on the ground, and it's such a great part of childhood.

Like one time DH and I were in Montreal suburb in the winter. Weekend, Not a SINGLE CHILD was outside...NONE...None were sledding none were out having a good time...NONE. All were being kept indoors...It wasn't even that cold out. We were both stunned.

·
Registered
796 Posts
We let dd ride her tricycle inside as a way to blow off steam. She also has a mattress for bouncing and we are going to get an indoor hopscotch mat for christmas.

We have a slide that we can bring inside if we get really desperate.

DD loves to play outside and tends to be really warm, so can stand the cold better then some. But its nice to have indoor activities just in case.

with smiles

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114 View Post

Like one time DH and I were in Montreal suburb in the winter. Weekend, Not a SINGLE CHILD was outside...NONE...None were sledding none were out having a good time...NONE. All were being kept indoors...It wasn't even that cold out. We were both stunned.
That's so.... weird. Almost creepy.

This reminds me, I need to get my trading post thread started so I can buy dd a snowsuit and some more warm clothes so we're not stuck inside all winter.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
We do gymnastics at the local Y and I think for Xmas, we'll get DD a mat and a balance beam for home.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114 View Post
Sorry it's just that too many people are getting spleeny at letting their kids outside when there's snow on the ground, and it's such a great part of childhood.

I understand that! Sledding and playing in the snow are my favorite memories of my childhood winters.
I guess I shouldn't have said we spend 95% of the time indoors.
I just have to scrape together some $ and figure out how we can get playstuff for outside. And I still don't know how DD will handle it! Hopefully she'll be walking by then!

And thanks for the playing in the sink w/ bubbles tip, I forgot how much DS loves that!

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CryPixie83 View Post
That's so.... weird. Almost creepy.

This reminds me, I need to get my trading post thread started so I can buy dd a snowsuit and some more warm clothes so we're not stuck inside all winter.
It was very surreal for sure....

·
Registered
368 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
We do gymnastics at the local Y and I think for Xmas, we'll get DD a mat and a balance beam for home.

If you find a good price for one, would you PM me? I wanted to make those our 'family' christmas present this year, but all the prices I found were pretty high.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Most of my winter will be spent getting to know my new son!

Other than that, here are some things we like to do inside:

Arts and crafts--DD will sit and cut and glue and color for literally hours. Then, after her creations are dry, I hang them up up in her art gallery in her room. Snap a photo every few weeks, clear the wall, save a couple favorites, and start again.
Playdough. Again, something DD will spend hours doing.
Reading.
Dress up.
Water play in the sink or tub.
Cooking together.
Hide and seek.
Dancing to the radio.
Chores and projects--DD likes to help with pretty much anything I'm doing.
Playgroup and playdates.
And when that all gets old, we bundle up and head outside--although this year, that will be harder with a newborn. But even 1/2 hour in the backyard can be enough with all the cold weather gear on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello. I am a mom of three, a 10 year old boy, 7 year old girl, and 2 year old girl. The older two are in school during the winter months, but activities for the 2 year old include making cookies (she likes to sprinkle them), coloring, gluing, blocks, making Christmas ornaments, playing with a dollhouse, or just helping mommy clean house! She wants to be like me right now, so as long as she is "helping" me, then she is having fun. Looking forward to hearing what everyone else does!

J

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.