Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To continue my theme of Accidental Gardening (see my other post) I mistakenly grew a winter melon plant. I bought it at my local Korean grocery store. The owner does not speak English very well but saw me looking at the unmarked plant and proceeded to try to sell me on it. I knew it was some kind of melon or pumpkin or squash. He indicated that they were very big. I asked if they were orange, he nodded his head so I bought it hoping it was a pumpkin. I planted it at my in-laws and right away it out performed the other pumpkin plant. It romped around the garden seemingly oblivious to the knee high weeds but when I saw white flowers I knew I wasn't dealing with a pumpkin. I forgot about it for long time (the weeds were much to high to fight my way back there). I went to look last weekend and at first I didn't see any fruit. You know how when you're looking for cucumbers, at first you can't find any, then suddenly you see them everywhere? Well, they weren't everywhere but man are they HUGE! Three feet long, pale green, kind of zucchini-shape with a bit of a crook neck. I figured they must be some type of Asian vegetable so I asked my Taiwanese neighbour. She says it's a winter melon. My MIL put some in chile and said it kind of tasted like cucmbers. She also said she had to cut it with a saw! I've looked on-line and found a few soup recipes but thought maybe some of you had tried it. (Plus I wanted to tell my story!
) I just have to say I love growing cucorbits (squash/melon family). They are like big goofy dogs.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi we used to grow winter melons, bitter melon, luffa, and a few other Asian veges, This was a couple of years ago and I had heaps of trouble trying to find recipes for them, our solution was to make friends with the couple that owned the local chinese restraunt, they were stoked with the veges we gave them and would cook some up for us in "real" chinese dishes, worked out well for us.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts