Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well-this is my third pregnancy. I have a 5yr old DD a 17 mos old DS and this new little bean. With DD I had unsure dates after 7 years of trying. With DS I had sure dates after 2 years of trying. With this one we were not necessarily trying-we didn't think it would happen without some hard work-SO-Definitely a blessing but my first (with unsure dates) ended as a failed induction emergent c-section. My second was a 12 hour labor with no epidural VBAC giving birth standing up. I much prefer the second method. Anyone with unsure dates had an ultrasound that gave some inkling of sure dates? Do you think ultrasound dating is accurate?

Laura
DH Paul, DD Molly 5, DS Joe 17 mos, Little Bean due in the Fall

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We're relying on ultrasound dating for the first time - this little one took us totally by surprise and there were some strange circumstances (I had 10 days of bleeding as this little bean was supposedly implanting). I had firm dates for my other two.

I only agreed to use the ultrasound dating because my midwife said she wouldn't hold me to them if I went longer or earlier.

I've heard that ultrasound dating is more accurate the earlier they do it since, up to a certain point, babies grow at the same rate.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
The earlier the u/s the more accurate, so if you're concerned with early induction, get it now. I knew my dates *exactly* and the u/s was off by one day- so yah, it's pretty accurate, but earlier is definitely better.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ditto what the others said- the early u/s dating is very accurate.

I am iffy about my dates this time too, so will be getting an u/s next week. Both my other pregnancies were meticulousdly orchestrated and aided with meds- so I'm clueless with this one.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
While nursing my 18 month old dd, and having had only 2 pp periods (both at varying lengths- 28-45 days) I became pregnant. I thought I could have been 6 weeks or I could have been newly pregnant and turns out I was newly pregnant (3 weeks 5 days when I tested positive). Early dating u/s is definitely accurate and I'm thankful for it (especially since I go to 42 weeks)

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I am doing an early ultrasound for dating as well for a lot of the reasons already mentioned my last 2 cycles were totally whack due to nursing and stress.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I will def ask for an ultrasound pronto. I usually haven't gotten one prior to 20 weeks (just the way my doc does it). For what it is worth. I am in the same situation. Was nursing my DS had maybe two periods and then radio silence. I told my DH I thought I was pregnant and he said -no way. Thinking how could you have to struggle so much with the other two but not at all with a third. We're excited-but definitely suprised. Thanks for the feedback

Laura

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Not sure of dates AT ALL as I have had NO period since DD was born. Hmmm, I think maybe I *should* have that u/s sooner rather than later as DS was born at 37w1d and DD was 38w. Wouldn't want anyone thinking my 8.8 and 9.3 pound kids were coming off preemie!

·
Registered
619 Posts
My midwife said that prior to 12 weeks, most embryos/fetuses grow at about the same rates and then start to diverge from there, so if you are going to use u/s for dating, do it before week 10 or 12.

I was suspecting a particular day I thought conception took place, even though it was VERY late for me and the u/s confirmed the exact date I suspected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.