Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on every OTHER issue, so maybe I could be taken seriously when I saythere's NO medical benefit whatsoever to circumcision and it only does harm. As it is, my comments are ignored because I'm just that crazy luddite who also thinks it's safe to birth at a birth center with a midwife, that it is better to tear naturally than to have an episiotemy, that fully vaccinating on the ped's schedule isn't necessarily right for every child, sleeps with the kids in the bed, etc. etc. DH's whole side of the family already think I'm so whacked for those views that if I say circ isn't necessary it just falls on deaf ears. I'm really hoping that if BIL and SIL ever have another baby I can talk sense to them. They circed DS1; I was pregnant with DD at the time and told them we would not circ if it was a boy and I just got the wide-eyed stare. Didn't have as much information then as now. Then they had a daughter, what a relief (of course, they pierced her ears!) If they get pregnant again I'm really hoping to talk sense to them, but since I'm just that crazy woman who doesn't do what the dr's recommend I'm afraid they won't even give my words a passing thought.
If only I had a planned c-section, put the baby in a crib with a bottle, etc., then I might get heard.

Jen

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I know how you feel! Dh's family doesn't yet know my crunch-itude, and I dread the day they find out! I think most ppl take the circ issue hard, anyone who hasn't informed themselves, and most haven't even thought to. Its super sad. The purpose of a parent is to protect the well being of the child... how is it ppl can assume they are able to accomplish that without arming themselves with information?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Leonardo DaVinci was almost executed because he said the earth is not the center of the universe, those round earthers were certifiably insane and Christopher Columbus was suicidal and wanted to sail off the edge. Sounds like you're in pretty good company to me!

Frank

·
Registered
197 Posts
have they ever seen a circ done?
that would prolly do for me if I was pro circ.. I never saw one before, but about a year ago someone posted a vid clip on a forum and it was truly horrifying.
I think some people just don't listen to anything other than what the telly says.... no worries.. you are doing right by your own child.. sometimes that's the best you can do... shine your beam of light where you are.
good luck

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Do most ppl attend their own child's circ? My MIL has 3 sons, so I just assume she's seen 3 circs. My mom was there for all 3 of my brothers, and has never considered anything wrong with circ. She said that one of my brothers screamed like crazy, but it seemed more like she was implying he's a wuss than that she was upset about the procedure. So the scary thing is, some ppl see it, even see their own child go through it, and still see nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grace's voice
Do most ppl attend their own child's circ? My MIL has 3 sons, so I just assume she's seen 3 circs. My mom was there for all 3 of my brothers, and has never considered anything wrong with circ. She said that one of my brothers screamed like crazy, but it seemed more like she was implying he's a wuss than that she was upset about the procedure. So the scary thing is, some ppl see it, even see their own child go through it, and still see nothing wrong with it.

Most people don't attend and I think that is part of the problem. My twins were preemies and were in the hospital 5 weeks. Preemies at this hospital were circed in the NICU on day of discharge. Of all the circs I saw done in that time there wasn't a single parent that viewed the surgery. Oddly the hospital didn't seem to care if parents of other babies were present at the time but I never saw a parent view a circ. There were 8 babies per room so it wasn't exactly private anyway and unless you are really hard of hearing you pretty much know what was going on. One baby's parents were in the gift shop during it buying clothes for him and another I knew the mom made sure she wasn't there even calling the hospital several times the morning it took place to make sure it was over before she arrived. There were a few others and I never saw the parents around for any of them. Usually they were performed in the morning during doctors rounds. There were very few parents visiting at that time of day anyway.

My mil was under the impression circ was painless until I started talking about it with her. I'm rather sure she didn't attend the mutilation of either of her boys.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Wow, that's hearbreaking. I can't believe ppl can supposed a newborn, who is so hypersensitive to even gentle touch, cannot feel pain. Since I was 6 years old, when my mom told me about my brothers circ, I've felt it must be wrong. But I didn't know there was an option until we learned about it in Bradley class about 3 years ago. I don't know if it was supposed part of the curiculum or not, but I'm thankful the instructor decided to discuss it, and I intend to do the same.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grace's voice
Do most ppl attend their own child's circ? My MIL has 3 sons, so I just assume she's seen 3 circs.
That's probably a wrong assumption. In most hospitals the parents are not allowed because anesthesia is not used. They feel it is too traumatic for the parents to see but not too traumatic for the child to experience.

Quote:
My mom was there for all 3 of my brothers, and has never considered anything wrong with circ. She said that one of my brothers screamed like crazy, but it seemed more like she was implying he's a wuss than that she was upset about the procedure. So the scary thing is, some ppl see it, even see their own child go through it, and still see nothing wrong with it.

A day old baby is a wuss? Day old babies don't have the life experience to be a wuss. He screamed like crazy because he was in unimaginable pain. This is why many nurses are so against neonatal circumcision.

Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.