Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am co-planning this really huge event to support midwives... it's this Saturday. It is a day-long festival from 8 am to 8pm with a ton of different events going on. Five of us have been a part of the planning group, and have worked really well together.<br><br>
I have really mixed feelings about how it is going to work out.<br><br>
First, of all, I have gotten support and help in places I never expected it. We're holding this at my church, but it is not a church event. But people from church have really stepped up to help me out. Then we got a band to step in rather late when a couple other performers dropped out, and they are now running all the sound for us for the whole day (and nobody in the band has had homebirths or is really affiliated with the "cause" other than just being generally supportive). We've had a lot of great silent auction donations. It seems like things are really coming together. My SIL --who is NOT a proponent of homebirth at ALL, and who I do not have the closest relationship to-- found us a massage therapist to take over the advertised chair massages after our other one cancelled.<br><br>
BUT, the people I am closest to, or have the biggest stake in this event, and who I counted on to be the biggest support during this are conspicuously silent. It looks like I won't have a single person from my own immediate family there (my family of origin... dh and kids will be there), for a variety of reasons... and we're pretty close.<br><br>
And then there is the huge natural parenting community I'm part of, where at least half are homebirthers and very vocal about supporting it... yet, have not responded to my many, many, many posts about the festival and calls for volunteers on our very active local forum. We're just asking for a couple-hour shift... and there is just.... silence. We are 6 days away from this event and have only 6 volunteers and their spouses committed to volunteering (and that includes our 5 committee members!). And our spouses will mainly be chasing the kids.<br><br>
Everything is great except for volunteers. But how are we going to run the event with so few people? We tried contacting local high schools to see if any groups needed service hours, but it is PROM season, so that was a no-go.<br><br>
I am FREAKING out. But, I'm trying to remain calm and have faith that it will all work out as so many things related to planning this have worked out. So, I could use prayers and well-wishes. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Sending well-wishes your way. I'm sure the day will be a great success!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Oh wow, good luck! It sounds like a fantastic event and I wish I could come to help out!! You never know who will turn up and I'm always amazed at how people step up when they see the help that is needed in the moment, especially if the atmosphere is fun and positive which I'm sure it will be. Keep us posted on how the final week of planning goes and if you can post pictures somewhere so we can see some highlights afterwards (and after you've had a big sleep!).

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It sounds like a fun event, and very stressful for you to coordinate!<br><br>
Have you thought of calling the people individually? There might be a lot of folks who are assuming that things are taken care of or think "oh, yeah, I should call her about that...." but then get side tracked. Pick up the phone, tell each person how much you value their support of the cause and ask them commit to you, right then and there, to running a shift. Maybe put together a few raffle prizes for volunteers? A massage or gift basket or something?<br><br>
No matter what it is going to work out great. As someone else mentioned, things always have a way of working themselves out.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I sent out some personal emails and private messages, and we have some more volunteers now. It looks like most people will be volunteering with their kids in tow (I guess a lot of dads are working or just not willing to watch the kids), but we'll figure out how to make it work with taking turns watching the kids and working. I have a feeling it will all work out, even though we really don't have the volunteer coverage committed to ahead of time.<br><br>
On another note, I have a radio interview bright and early tomorrow morning... I am nervous and excited!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts