Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
We use the withdrawl method as our only form of bc. Our youngest is almost 2 and we've been using it since we resumed activity after he was born. It isn't that bad, I'm sure it is a little worse on the male, I'd hate to be "interrupted" like that. But all in all it is ok. TMI but keep in mind that if it doesn't go there it has to go somewhere so be prepared or it could get a little messy. And you have to be committed to it, we have been using it without a flaw for almost 2 years now but we were also using it when we conceived my youngest. We were naive and really not that opposed to another baby so completed the act where it counted a couple times. If you both (especially the man) are not committed to pulling out EVERY SINGLE TIME, you should look into another form of bc or keep yourselves open to the fact that you very well might get pg.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
We have been exclusivly using withdrawl sinc dd2 was born. I didn't get a period until she was 12 months because I was bfing. So that is 2 1/2 years. I really think it depends on the mans ability to know when, & react. We have never once had an oops (knock on wood). I have heard of women say he usually makes it in time, I think those are the women getting preg using this method.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
In my sex ed class in college they explained that this was not a reliable method of birth control since "some men dribble before they shoot." And it doesn't sound all that pleasant for the man...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
If you really do not want to get pregnant, then I would use this method only in conjunction with charting or condoms during the fertile window. When men get aroused, as with women, their bodies secrete a little fluid to ease penetration. In the case of the man, the fluid is semen and it does contain sperm, therefore, you could get pregnant this way.

It happened to me when DH and I had just met and were dating (but I lost the pg).

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I would mot trust the withdrawal method useless it was OK that I got preg, there can be sperm in the pre stuff, can't say the C word here so i hope you know what I mean
So since there ican be sperm in the pre stuff, the withdrawal method is useless, you can get preg with out penetration, it rarely happens, but CAN happen and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I personally think that if the man knows when to pull out and does it EVERY single time without fail it is very effective as BC.

Personally my husband and I have used withdrawal between both of our children for a combined time of 13-14 years and have never had an accident - we have also bd'd during my fertile phases. When we decided to conceived DS, we only bd'd once that entire month during my fertile phase and I got pregnant, so I think we are both very fertile.

As another poster commented - with this method I think you have to be in a place that you are okay if an accident happened, which I am!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
It got me where I am today ... proud mommy to a 3.5mo.

Really, seriously, honestly:
There Is Sperm In Pre-Ejaculate.
You Know, That Lubricating Fluid On The Tip Of His Penis During Sex.
Yeah, That Stuff. There's SPERM In There. And It Can Swim.
It Will Get You Pregnant.

I suppose withdrawal method is reliable if you're also charting and know exactly when you ovulate. But don't rely on it exclusively unless having a baby is OK.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Withdrawal is fairly effective but not quite effective enough for my tastes, so IMO should be used more as a 'natural spacer' than an actual method to prevent pregnancy. I don't know if that makes sense. Anyhow, I think I remember reading that it's important for the man not to have ejaculated within the previous 24 hours in order to properly reduce the chance of pregnancy (using this method). Another interesting tidbit, I think that with 'perfect use' you are more likely to get pregnant using a female condom than you are using the 'withdrawal method'. Weird. But male condoms are more effective than withdrawal--and they won't disrupt his climax. So maybe you can pair methods as some previous posters suggested--chart, etc. then use condoms during fertile phases and withdrawal method when it's 'safe'.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyNewMama View Post
So maybe you can pair methods as some previous posters suggested--chart, etc. then use condoms during fertile phases and withdrawal method when it's 'safe'.
Except you wouldn't need to withdraw when it's safe.. because it's, well, safe!
That's what I like about Fertility Awareness, I know when it's safe and we don't have to use any form of contraception!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I've used withdrawl since I was about 14(I know I was too young). I've probably averaged doing it once a week. I've only gotten pregnant the 4 times that he "let em loose" at ovulation time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts