Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm shopping in a quiet store and after a few minutes hear a man bellow, "NO! That's just junk. Build something good or we're going home!" I turn the corner to see two cuties seated at a lovely duplo table making piles with the blocks, their father leaning over them. "Like this, you have to make towers! NO. Start building something good or that's it!!!" Pause, he looks at a shirt. "So-and-so you'd better do it right. NO!!! Like this, you have to build TOWERS!!!" He was so intense and serious and it was so surprisingly crazy that I actually started laughing. The guy is busy shopping and he's so concerned that his seated, quiet, exploring, well behaved children are "only" piling up the blocks. "OK! Now build another one, let's go!" I could only wonder if he's an ambitious contractor or something... It was weird.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
wow. that is really odd. i can't even begin to make sense of that.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
were the kids upset? is it possible they were just playing around? my kids and I have a weird sense of humor sometimes . ..

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
That sounds very difficult to deal with. My mom had a friend whose father required her and her brother to practice the piano every night - until they got a piece right. They could play for hours and it wasn't enough, if they didn't get it right. I think some people really are that perfectionistic bout their children. I'm not sure what it's called, but I'm sure it's not healthy. I really hope this wasn an anomaly, because it sounds like an awful environment to grow up in.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The kids were quietly having fun before he interfered and after that they seemed to lose interest, but followed his requests. He wasn't joking -- but I hoped so for a minute. It was so weird. I could never call something my kid did "junk". I can still hear him, "That's just junk." and the kids looked like they were thinking, "Oh, here we go again..."

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by glendora View Post
Maybe he had OCD, or something like that?
Maybe. I have it and the strangest things bother me. For instance sometimes the tones in my kids voices irritate me so much I have to walk out of the room to avoid snapping at them. I feel terrible that I have to do that, but I've come to the realization that I can't control my OCD, but I CAN manage it. That guy seems like he needs a lot of help though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think I would have ignored the dad and hung with the kids for a bit building wacky block towers, to show them that all adults aren't insane. Sorry you had to see it, but since those things stick so hard in a mothers' memory perhaps they help us to be better parents and more mindful of what others may be going through (yes, the kids, but even that poor, sick man). Everyone is a teacher, even him.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
About the OCD -- I shared about a friend on another thread and it was suggested that she might have this. She IS somewhat controlling of her children's play: I recall a few years ago when my oldest was three and her oldest was 7, and they used to enjoy playing a lot of the same things. There were times when she actually told him something he was enjoying was "too young" for him, and made him do something else.

ETA: The "that's too young for you" thing actually just happened once, and I don't want to exaggerate, but there's been some other controlling stuff at times.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.