• Stay At Home

Votes: 51 60.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious about the breakdown.

I currently WOH, but will probably SAH (possibly WAH) starting in January because daycare for 3 will be too high to justify my working. . .

For our first time mommies, just fill in your best guess at this point. You're not signing a contract or anything.

(Remember, this is just for FUN! No judgement.
)
--LEE

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I currently WOH, and plan to after baby is born. I'll take 10-11 months mat leave first, though.
I like working, and staying at home last time just about drove me around the bend. Different strokes for different folks.
g.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I'm studying for the bar right now but will start WOH in September, so I put that down (besides, being out of the house for 6 hours a day for classes should count too, no?).

I dearly wish I could stay home, but DH has no job at the moment and even if he did it wouldn't come close to covering the insane cost of living around here.

Or at least, I think I do -- I've never been a SAHM so I don't know how I'd do with it. With DS1, I was back in school at 10 days PP (with the baby, of course). I'll have most of August off to see how I like SAH.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I work at home, but my work is my home, ha. My husband and I are house parents at a children's home for kids with behavior problems or school problems (lots of ADHD, etc.). We have 10 boys who live with us, except for holidays, summer vacation and one or two weekends a month. They are 12 & 13 year olds

Now that being said, my schedule is extremely flexible to add a baby in to. We work in the morning to get the kids ready for school and after school until bedtime (our boys go to bed at 8pm, yes, 8pm for 12 year olds!!!!). And we have them on the weekends. It's wonderful for young families like ours, my hubby is with me all the time and our baby will be able to be around his father and I'll get a break!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I WOH part time (25 hrs/week) and wish that I could SAH with this baby. I stayed home for 2 1/2 years but then had to get a job to pay the bills.
I'm not sure how I'm going to do this after the baby is born, I'll have about a week and a half off from work after I have the baby and then I'll have to go back to work. I'm a mess the first few months so I really don't know how this will work. But short answer, I WOH.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've been a SAHM since I was 7 months pregnant with my first. We're lucky in Canada though that our maternity benefits are for an entire year, so that certainly helped ease the transition!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I WOH currently, four days a week plus lots of on call as a family practitioner, including attending births. My partner Leah has been at home for the last 7 years but we're intending to swap after this baby is born, just for a year.

I'm really looking forward to the change, but we're going to be living on a 1/4 of our current income so that will take a bit of adjusting to. Plus I'm plannign on having a cruisy year with a baby in a sling and Leah is pointing out that by the time I've done the school run, coached soccer practice, and the drop off to the older kids' various other activities it'll be more of a car seat baby.

My take is that we'll be doing less and hanging out more, especially given we won't be able to afford all those activities anyway!

Anna, partner to Leah for 10 years, mum to Bede 7 and Emmett 3.5

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I SAH, and have since I was 6 months pregnant with #2. I'm hoping dh will be able to take some parental leave this time (he took 6 weeks off with #2, I'm hoping for 3 months this time 'round...)

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
SAHM here, I was a WOHM but got laid off last October and have just stayed home since and will be for quite some time.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I have been at home since my second was born. I'll SAH for another few years with this new babe. I do pick up some side work every once in a while for extra cash, but it is intermittent.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm a full time student entering my clinical years so I'm not often home - but school is supportive and let me take a long maternity leave so I should have 4.5 or 6 months with my little one, I can decide at that point based on whether we are skilled with expressed breast milk or not.
My husband works at home, he is a independent computer programmer and does a lot of the traditional "house stuff" like groceries and cooking. He may be taking an outside job next, though...the future is uncertain when you're self-employed. It would be great if we were both at home for the first months of new baby...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I'm currently working out of the home and dd (3y) loves the daycare arrangement. So do we! When #2 comes, I'll stay home for as long as I can. I was able to stay home for 16m with dd. My idea is to start at around 3m pp and work only 2 hours 2-3 times a week. Only when dh or my mom can be on home duty. It will be 10min from home and thus I should abvoid pumping or delaying feedings. However, I know the best laid plans blah blah blah......I will try to stay home as long as I can!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.