Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, because I have been trying to collect some data about my employer's (a very large, progressive state university) policies about pumping etc and may try to agitate to get a "lactation lounge" built into one of the buildings that will be going up in the upcoming campus expansion.... this is a campus that has 40,000 students spread over several miles, not to mention staff and faculty, and it only has 2 places listed as "pumping stations" - which are really just the outer areas of a bathroom.

I pump in the darkroom of my building, the art museum. It's relatively private and locks, and has a rudimentary chair and outlet. My supervisor has been pretty great about making sure that I have a private place and plenty of time to pump (I work 4 hours a day and pump once for about 15 min), so I don't really have anything to complain about, I just think that our otherwise great campus should be more on-the-ball about this.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
when i was a WOTH pumping mom, I pumped twice a day (once in the morning when I got there - I came in between 5:30 and 6AM, usually before my dd or ds had woken for the day, so I came in pretty full - and once on my lunch break). Occasionally, I would add another pumping if i needed more milk to keep up with a growth spurt. I was lucky in that the nature of my job required me to have a private office, so I was able to shut the door and keep on working while I pumped. The only weird thing was that since there was a safe in my office, it also had a video camera in it - so there's probably hours of tape of me pumping out there. :LOL

·
Registered
686 Posts
nak

i work 4 full days ea week. i pump sometimes on my way to work (when i carpool w my sis), then 2x while at work - during my lunch, and at about 3 or 3:30. i have my own private office, and put a sign on the door. no one bugs me. the problem for me is i'm an atty and have a billable hour requirement, which pumping time detracts from. Thus, i try to save reading and simple emails (that i can type w 1 hand) for pumping time, so that i don't lose billable time...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I pump 1-2 times a day at work(in the middle and sometimes right before I go home). I also pump at home every night after the kids go to bed. I still get a good amount of milk from those sessions. I pump in a bathroom
: . I knew when i just changed jobs that there would be no place to pump(no private place at all) and was ok with that because I was down to 1-2 pumpings and Parker is so old. At my previous job, I had an office but my office had a camera in it connected to a dvr and there was no way to turn it off. I was actually just as uncomfortable pumping in there.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I work 9 hours/day M-F and I pump three times a day; once when I arrive, once at lunch, and again at my afternoon break. My babe is a one-year old milk hog so I also pump when she's asleep at night. At work I use a private space with a lock but I share it with whoever else is pumping. There is one key held by a secretary which can be strange since I have to announce my 'intent to pump' to get into the room. It works...although after over a year of this I think the goodwill of my boss is waning.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I pump alot. 5:30am, 8:30am, 11:30am, 2:30pm, 5:30pm and sometimes 8:30pm. The pumpings at home (first one and last 2) are generally only one side while DS eats on the other side. I try to pump 3-4 times a day on the weekend as well.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I work PT, doing individual teaching in the evening at a school. I planned my schedule with breaks every 2-3 hours for pumping. There's no privacy in the classroom, so I use a single-person bathroom for pumping. Luckily I use a manual pump, because there's no outlet. It's not too bad - it's very clean and it's conveniently located next to my classroom. There may be a better place somewhere else in the school (presumably they have school teachers who pump), but my company rents the space so we don't have free run of the place. Personally, I don't feel the same about pumping in the bathroom as I do about nursing in a bathroom (as long as it's clean).

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
When I was pumping, I started out in the projection booth of one of our auditoriums. Since it was frequently being used for classes and the three of us who were pumping were all walked in on (even with signs posted on the door!), they found us another spot. This was a storage space for art work and misc. papers/junk. There was an outlet and a chair. It was kinda skanky, though.

Eventually I convinced my boss to have blinds installed on my interior office windows so I could stay in my office and work while I pumped. Made sense to me & (thankfully) to her as well. That's where I pumped until I was done.

I pumped 4 times a day for the first 7 months, then down to 3, then 2 & finally 1 time a day for the last month of so.

I work at a very small, private art college.

HTH

Laura

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
pak (pumping at keyboard :LOL )

I pumped 3 times a day until 6 months, then 2 times a day. I pump in my office, it has a door with a lock. I wash my pump parts out in the ladies' room sink and store the EBM in the coomunal refrigerator in a lunch bag. I work at a large state university. The "lactation room" in my building is the shower stall in the women's restroom (it actually has an institutional sign letting you know it is the "lactation room"). Hence my preferred location at my desk. I've only spilled breastmilk on my paperwork a few times ...

·
Registered
766 Posts
No longer pumping but... I work at a large technical company. Our site has somewhere on the order of 1000 employess (I think?) - we have two lactation rooms on site. Each has outlets, tables & chairs, cubbies to store your pump, a sink, towels, & soap. One also has a refrigerator. Pumping moms make it a little nicer by bringing in pictures and magazines. The lactation room is actually a little offshoot from the women's restroom with a separate door that locks. I used to pump 3 times a day normally and sometimes 4 if I needed extra. I work a 40 hour week.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I work in a salon & I pump in the massage room when there's not a massage scheduled. If there's a conflict I can use the facial room or the waxing room. All of them have a locking door, a counter with a sink & outlet, dim lighting & independant sound systems. Pretty fantastic for pumping, really, even though that isn't their purpose. I work from 11 - 7 & I pump usually around 1 & 5:30. I only work 3 days a week, so that is enough, and lots of days my friend brings him to me to eat once, so I only have to pump once. I worked for a health insurance company for a few years that had a "nursing room" It had a changing table (stocked with dipes, wipes, changing pads), recliner, couch (like a living roon, really) outlets on the floor be each place a person was likley to set & a fridge for milk storage. They also gave moms who came back from maternity leave a double electric pump. It was in their handbook that they encouraged working moms to continue breastfeeding & that they would be given unlimited access to a LC & the nursing room as needed. This all in a state that has no law requiring employers to be accomidating.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I work in a community college and have a private office. I pump every two hours since Jordan still prefers her boowahs over regular solid foods. Right now, the college has no policies or lactation rooms. I am actually envious of some of the posts I have been reading in this thread.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Amanda, my cousin worked for Aetna in CT when she returned to work after her baby and had the exact setup you described above - free pump, great pump rooms, etc. actually, they also had the hospital grade pumps on site, so you could just plug your own pump parts into it and didn't need to lug the PIS every day

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
When I WOHMed once a week, I would usually pump 3x a day. My office had a women's shower with a big bench, shower stall, cubbies, etc. I would just put a note on the door, lock the door and pump in there.

I just found out my employer (um, also Aetna!) subsidizes the cost of a Medela PIS - I pay only $20 and it would be shipped to me! I WAH all the time now, but it might still be worth it if I ever have to go to my office for a day or two when the baby is older (I have an ancient PIS right now and dread the thought of having to use it again).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our company has a campus of about 2,500 people and a lactation room off the main lobby and cafeteria (centrally located). After maternity leave, you are issued a key to the room and given the removable parts to a hospital grade pump. The room has several comfy chairs, a sink, a fridge, and several pumps (and maybe a changing table?). Also, I know several women whose SAHD bring in baby and they nurse in the lactation room (dad has to stay out in the lobby).

As far as time, our company is pretty easy going about flextime. We too, though, have billable hour requirements, so I also know women who put up blinds on the office window and pump in office while working.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I work a 40 hour week, and pump 3 times a day. My company has a "Mothers Room" with a sofa, chair, outlets, fridge, sink with hot running water, mirror and a lock on the door. It can be scheduled like a conference room so you have it all to yourself.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I work 3 7 hour nights and pump once each night. I pump once around 8-8:30pm. My company (software company) has a lacation room which is basically a storage room with a deadbolt on it and a desk, chair and outlet inside. Works out OK. I just wish I could hear the pages from inside the room.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
When I was still pumping, I pumped twice a day (I work FT M-F usually regular business hours 40 hrs). We have a first aid room that I used. There is a couch, chair, sink and an outlet. I kept my ebm in a fridge in my dept. The door locked but lots of people had the key. I put up a little sign saying something like "room in use, please knock" when I was in there. I was never interrupted.

Good luck with your proposal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.