Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
Quote:
A PREGNANT woman says she was told she couldn't have her baby in a hospital because she was too fat.
One good reason why she should have her baby at home

I weighed more than that when I was term with Noah and I gave birth with no complications AT ALL!!! He was born peacefully at home after 2hrs 40mins of labour. Of course every birth is different but for goodness sakes!!!

Quote:
He said the risks during delivery were significantly higher for women who were overweight.
Ummm.....

Quote:
He said the hospital did not have intensive care or neo-natal facilities if the baby or mother needed emergency treatment
1. thats just stupid on the hospitals part

2. And we all know that only overweight woman have complications during labour and birth
:

Quote:
Lisa said no one had explained the risks to her.
and now she has to suffer because they never bothered to explain this to her?!?

There's a have your say button at the bottom of the page. Lets do that....

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
Interesting...in a nauseating sort of way.

I'm 37 years old (today), weighed 100kg. when I got pregnant, have had two previous c-sections, several years of inability to conceive and three consecutive unexplained miscarriages. My OB is still behind me wanting to VBA2C...and I weigh more than 110kg now.

I also have no signs of high blood pressure, gestational diabetes or any other health problem (except a bit of wear and tear on my joints). I eat well (just too much!) and get a fair amount of exercise. This story makes me sick.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I can't belive they would expect her to loose weight that close to term. And like 10 lbs is gonna make that big of a difference in risk? Really now. Of course I don't buy that who BMI crap anyway. How can they even calculate that on a pg women? The baby has to weigh something! that whole story made me ill

Michelle

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Ridiculous!

I was 271 lbs at term with my daughter, and had a natural, drugfree birth. She weighs less than I did.

I think receiving messages so late in pregnancy about what is "wrong" with one's body increases the risks at birth more than weight could. And losing 8 kgs in 8 weeks is not a good idea for a third trimester mother.

Complications in pregnancy and birth are much higher with *under*weight women than overweight, even according to mainstream medical information. I'd like to see an article about the hospital turning away skinny women.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Yeah, um, cause we all know fat is bad right?I mean, who needs nourishment for breastfeeding anyhow , aren't babies meant to be ff?

I gained about 60 during each pregnancy. My body just seemed to be on a set amount. I worked out and all.

I think it's a bunch of crap what they tell these people.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
: That makes me SO MAD!!! This poor woman!!! I was very close to this with my dd. She was born 8 months ago and I had a natural labor with no complications.

Shouldn't that be illegal to turn someone away because of that? What a messed up society we live in. Just proves what Raven said "One good reason to have her baby at home."

S.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxwill129 Just proves what [B
Raven [/B] said "One good reason to have her baby at home."

S.
I hope! I keep gaining weight like crazy and have this horrible fear that my MWs will risk me out. MY BP is much better than when I started my last pregnancy (110/65 now, was 130/80 last time and got up to 140/90) and i weigh a bit more. I eat healthy for the most part, but like a PP, just too much. I never had GD last time (and even suspect its a bogus diagnosis) and had only iatrogenic complications during l&d.

This kind of stuff scares me, because as someone said, no one discriminates against the underweight mamas, but fat people seem to be one of the last safe classes of people to discriminate against.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
110 kg = 242 lbs.

The woman doesn't look all that fat to me in the photo...and BMI calculations aren't accurate for pregnant women. How odd.

I honestly don't know anything about obesity adding real risk factors--I do know there's some evidence to support the theory that GD (as opposed to pre-existing diabetes) doesn't really exist as a risk factor. But the woman in the story isn't morbidly obese, anyway.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I was surprised at the photo. I was expecting an enormous woman with rolls of fat hanging down. That's so silly!!! She's not that big at all - she's a good sized woman, but she's by no means "too fat" to have a baby! Good lord, that's nuts!!! So they're telling her she has a higher risk, BUT she can't use the hospital? That's some fantastic logic there????

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Oh. my. god. That is so unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To tell a person TO LOSE weight in the last part of her pregnancy? I cannot believe that a medical professional (professionals!) actually advised that. That poor woman. She is pregnant, for Pete's sake! She does not look that big to me... not at all. Regardless, even if she weighed 900 lbs, it's still ridiculous.

Yet another example of why doctors do not always know best.

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
I'm actually quite close to her weight - I'd screwed up the conversion before, and was thinking she was 232 pound, not 242. If anything, I think she looks slimmer than I do (at least in the photo), and I've had many people tell me (pregnant or otherwise) that I look slimmer than I am.

These doctors are nuts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like many of you....think its a load of crap.....just one more thing to put on a heavy gal to make her feel like shi*....

Im fat and happy I do have health issues but they have NOTHING to do with my weight....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.