Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK mommas! I know some of you are the queens of bread and I need a lot of help. I've given up on my bread machine and started trying to make my own the old fashioned way (knead, rise, punch, rise, etc) and love it! The only problem is I'm not having good results making a "sandwich" type loaf. I've been using sprouted spelt flour.

I'm now getting desperate because school starts next Monday and I need sandwich bread! I don't want to use the store-bought stuff!!

Please help me mommas!!!!!!!!! Give me your recipes and methods for great loaves of sandwich bread!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in need of new flour, so tell me what you use.

I know the ladies on this board can help-- please share your expertise!!

· Registered
746 Posts
Here is my recipe, it makes a really nice loaf, easy to cut, not crumbly, nice soft crust. I use a Kitchenaid mixer to knead, glass pans to bake, although I don't know if that makes a diff.

Heat in a saucepan until butter melts and honey dissolved:
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup honey (you can use more or less of this)

Add liquid mixture to:
3 1/2 cups flour
4t yeast
3t salt

Mix on med-high speed for a min, then add another cup flour and mix on med-high for another minute. Then just slowly add flour until the dough is nice and thick and doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl.

I let mine rise all day, punching down every few hours. I do that to try and "soak" the flour, but if you want to do it quicker let it rise for an hour, punch down, rise another hour, then put into bread pans to rise for another hour. Bake at 350 for 30 mins or so.

You can use pretty much any mixture of flour you want. Half WW and half white flour makes a very nice, kid-friendly loaf.

I make 3 medium sized loaves with this recipe. You can make two large loaves if you want.

Hope it works!

· Registered
94 Posts
I've been baking our daily bread for about 6 months now. I call it perfect PB&J bread. My kids eat it, crust and all. I still use the bread machine, but only to make the dough.

1-3/8C Milk
2Tbs butter or olive oil
1 egg beaten
3Tbs something sweet (brown sugar, honey, maple syrup all work)
1Tbs flaxseed meal
1-1/2tsp salt
1Cspelt flour
1C whole wheat flour
2-1/4 C unbleached bread flour
2tsp yeast

I use the bread machine to get the dough, and then I punch it down and divide it in two. I shape it into two longish loafs and put it on a buttered baking pan to bake. For a denser version, I only let it rise 10-20 min and slice the top about 1 inch deep to allow the bread to expand. For fluffier bread, I let it rise a full hour and don't slice the top. I use a 335 oven for 30-40 min.

If I could find the bread hook for my DW's mixer, I'd put the machine to pasture. I use King Arthur's bread flour, and get the other flours in bulk from a local whole foods shop.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
I just found this recipe which I've been using for a couple of weeks. It's a very mild rye bread if you leave out the carroway seeds. It's got a touch of sweetness and is nice and soft but holds together well. I've been making DH's lunch sandwiches with it, and he's very happy. It makes super excellent toast.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive..._rye_bread.php

I've just been baking the two loaves in 8" bread pans, and I use Bob's Red Mill dark rye flour.

· Registered
855 Posts
well, I'm a newbie at making our bread every week but my husband is building a home for a lady right now that teaches bread classes.. she finally convinced me to get my own mill and grind my own wheat
Anyway.. her bread is beyond yummy and I've had great luck with this recipe. (and I'm not very good at making bread so that's saying something) super healthy, easy, and it makes a great sandwhich loaf (which is what we eat for lunch about every day)

I use my new Bosch mixer for this but it can certainly be done by hand (I did it by hand last week before I got my mixer)

Honey whole wheat.. this makes 5 loaves

5 1/2 cups hot (for yeast temp) water

1/3 cup safflower oil

1 cup honey

2 Tbsp yeast

mix those together in mixer (in that order.. that way the honey slides out easily since it was added to the cup you used for the oil)

add 2 cups of flour.. mix and let sit covered for 10 mins so the yeast can sponge up..

add 3 Tbsp Dough enhancer

2 Tbsp Salt

add flour (rough guide.. 12-14 cups...I grind my own and so far have either done too much or not enough each time LOL.. once I finally get this figured out I'll post a better estimate) until the dough doesn't stick to the sides of the mixing bow.. it was great to do the lessons because I could touch it at each step.. it was still a bit sticky feeling at this stage but not enough to immediatly cling to the fingers.. in the mixer she stopped when you could see the bottom curve of the bowl.

knead for 8 mins.. this was in a bosch mixer so it will need to be longer by hand or a kitchen aid. (kneading in the mixer for that long allows the gluten to be fully developed so that only one rising is needed)

form loaves and let rise until doubled

cook for 29 mins at 325.. although it needs to cook longer in my oven and at 330.. until it starts to brown..

another tip.. shaping the bread into loaves.. don't use flour on the work area use oil.. otherwise you are adding too much flour to the bread. (which is one of my big problems.. although the last 2 times I haven't added enough LOL)

· Registered
727 Posts
Here is the recipe for my favorite sandwich bread. The instructions are for the bread machine but you could make it by hand too. I have put up a few variations on my blog too - soaking the flour, using more whole wheat. I have a no-knead 100% wholemeal loaf in the works at the moment - hopefully that will work too.
The secret for me is using milk and mashed potato. It gives a really soft yummy bread that lasts a couple of days without going hard. Kids adore it too.

HTH

· Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I did a search for sandwich bread recipes and found this thread. I'm going to try them all! Just started with recipe #1. I'm kinda excited

Thought this thread deserved a resurrection, esp because I see recently someone was asking for recipes but didn't get any replies

· Registered
1,494 Posts
I have excellent results with the NT sandwich bread. The buttermilk one, except I use Kefir.
You can still use your bread machine to take care of part of your kneading.
This is often the thing that affects the texture.
Until I got my Bosch, I used our bread machine as my primary kneading maid.
Now, I start my flour, kefir and butter/lard the night before, and just leave it in the bowl
Add everything else in the morning, and turn it back on.
Perfect every time!
Paula

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.