Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see several threads a month about young kids, 5 sometimes younger, asking where babies come from and each time I always wonder why my dd who is 8 has never asked me anything like that even when I was pg with ds and she would sit and watch birth shows with me she never asked how the baby got in there or anything like that.

She sees me naked all the time in the bath and out and the only question she ever asked me about my body is why I had furr on my butt
: she asked that one last year at 7 that one was hard to answer because I was holding back trying not to laugh. But I told her that it was part of growing up. She was fine with that.

I keep expecting some kind of questions from her but nothing. I know I was well into my teens before it even occured to me to question where babies came from and then I did the research in books and found the answers but my mom was very closed off about things like that.

So is my dd just behind everyone else or are there other kids out there that have never asked?

·
Banned
52 Posts
Some kids just don't ask until they're older. I didn't bring it up until I was ten. I'm pregnant (visibly so, considering I'm less than 11 weeks along) and my 3-year-old and I (she'll be 4 in April) had a conversation recently about it. I think it's normal to be curious, but equally normal NOT to be, if that makes sense.

I don't think it's much to worry about, she's only eight. When she starts showing signs of pubescence, though, I think it would be worth it to sit down and have a talk regardless of if she asks any questions. Some kids just don't care. Better that way, IMO.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I am 35 weeks pregnant and my 5.5yo has never asked me how the little guy got in there.
He just takes it for face value...hey there's a baby in there and that's that. We have been trying to decide whether or not have him in the same room when the baby is born. I think he may ask questions after that.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
My oldest turned 9 today (
) and she's never asked. I had a baby right before she turned 7 and thought for sure she would ask, but she didn't.
We have talked a lot about puberty, development, etc, but she hasn't asked. I feel like I need to introduce it because I'm sure her friends probably know and are talking about it.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
My Dd is six and never asked but we offered some info after I read, "All the things you never wanted your kid to know about but were afraid they'd ask" It's a very good book and one of the suggestions is that if your kid isn't asking by (IIRC ) 5 you should initiate some conversations. So we did but truthfully she didn't seem all that interested or ask any further questions.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My DS is only 3 1/2, but he hasn't asked how the baby gets in there either. He knows that when they get big enough, they come out but that's it. As far as the difference between boys and girls, he was satisfied with the explanation that girls' peepees and boys' peepees are different.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
DD never asked the "how did the baby get in there question" until recently. I know I guided her toward asking the question by giving her bits of info about birth and pregnancy during my pregnancy, looking at books together, and by asking her questions (to get an idea of where she was with processing it all.)

Because we planned a home birth and I was doing a lot of self care it was important to me to be sure she was familiar with the facts about what was going on. I did not want her to witness labor and birth unprepared. So naturally I encouraged her interest and prompted her to ask questions.

DD started to use the words "sex" and "sexy" sometime around 4.5. It was clear to me that she had no idea what these words truly were referring to so I encouraged discussions and asked her lots of questions. (She labeled anyone kissing as having sex.) Eventually she asked the right question and had enough of the background info to be ready for the final big bit of info. I don't think she believed me at first. Now that she knows she doesn't throw the word sex around quite so casually (thank goodness...I did not want to watch my MIL have a stroke!)

What I am really trying to say to the OP is this. It's totally normal for kids not to ask or be curious about all of the facts. I am willing to bet that most of us with 5 year olds in the know is because we paved the way for the questions in one way or another.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My seven year old has three younger siblings and never asked. The only thing she ever asked about was do boys had a "real" name for their weiners. I told her it was a penis and she thought it was a hilarious word, and then my 4 year old said "So what is that round thing under Brother's weiner?" I told her and she said "I like the word balls better."

My kids say God puts babies in tummies, which is in accordance with out religious views. However, i do tell them that God makes it so Daddy can help get the baby started. They never seemed to care to know more.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think it is fine that she hasn't asked. I would ask you to consider bringing it up with her soon though. I used to be a family life teacher, and kids this age ARE talking about such things, and give each other some interesting information! I would encourage you to talk with her about it soon, as she may *think* she knows, or she may have gotten/or may get soon some info from friends.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not sure she could understand. My dd is very smart but she has a lot of trouble communicating with anyone. She has trouble understanding simple concepts and she cannot tell a simple story either. It is something that they are working with her on at school and I try here at home. It is like her mind works way faster than her mouth can. It is hard to explain really.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Our ds is 7. I am sure he would have asked a thing if his younger sister hadn't been fascinated by these things and "shared" with him. he just wasn't interested. To each their own.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
My 7.5yo just asked me this the other day, and he too watched a bunch of birth videos, not to mention his own little brother being born. For him it was prompted by his campaign to get us to have another baby.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.