Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD, 10 months yesterday, woke up at 2:30, nursed like normal, burped, and went right back to sleep by 2:40 (she's always been a fast nurser). Then she woke up again at 4:30 (not completely out of the ordinary but she usually only wakes up once a night), so I nursed her again, like I usually do even w/ second wakings. She ate from both sides, but when I tried to sit her up to burp her, she wouldn't. She kept throwing herself backwards (with a LOT of force... it's hard to hold onto her and I'm afraid she'll throw herself right onto the floor one of these days) and making her newly-learned sign for milk. The throwing herself backwards is new this week, but she usually does it when she wants the other side (i.e. one side didn't fill her up enough). Then when she's full she'll usually sit peacefully on my lap and talk and then burp after a minute or so w/o my having to coax it or anything.

But anyway, so even after both sides, she's doing her throw-back thing and making the sign for nurse, so I offer to her again, and she takes about ONE good suck and then just sits there w/ it in her mouth, not even comfort nursing or swallowing or anything. So I take her off and try to burp her again, nothing doing... she throws herself backwards again and signs milk again. So I offer the other side... same thing. No sucking at all. Then she bites me.

I take her into bed b/c I am soooo tired, thinking maybe she'll calm down and relax and sleep peacefully next to me, and I offer her a boob to "hold in her mouth" since she doesn't want to suck, and she pops off and then starts playing and looking around and talking. Then she eventually takes it back in her mouth of her own accord and... bites me again!

I laid her in her crib while I typed that this morning, and before I was done (about 2 minutes later) she had fallen asleep. I'd still like some input though, if anyone has any. I don't think she's teething... she got her first two teeth about a month ago and I haven't noticed any signs of more coming through yet.

Thanks,
Andrea

·
Registered
2,526 Posts

I don't have advice, but my 10 month old started doing stuff like this recently as well. Even the waking up while it's dark and wanting to be up for the day. Maybe she wants more food because of a growth spurt? I hope tonight it better for you.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiB View Post
Just wondering...does she NEED to be burped? Could that be waking her up more than necessary?
Yes, she does, even after most of her day feedings as well. My letdown is fast and strong and she gets "gulpy" during it and swallows a ton of air. If I skip the burp then she REALLY screams from all that trapped gas.

Now, having said that... there are the rare instances when she doesn't burp. If she does burp it usually happens w/in 30 seconds or so, so after that time has elapsed then I can put her down. But when she does her throwing herself around thing, I can't even TRY to burp her, but until I've tried and there's no burp to be had, I can't be assured that she didn't need to. I'd rather try and have her not burp, then lay her down and let her scream b/c I should have burped her, KWIM?

·
Registered
346 Posts

Oh I am feeling you momma...my DD is a bit older than yours (14 mo), but just tonight with the bedtime routine, she kept biting me while nursing and laughing because she thought my reaction was funny.
:
:
: I was SOOOOOO mad! I yelled at her for the first time ever
:

I do also remember my DD doing the holding the nipple and THEN biting when she was a bit younger, maybe your DD's age, and it became a pre-biting sign, so when it was happening, I would remove my nipple before she bit. I do think that in most cases, the biting is the need to chew on something due to teething. I think this phenomenon can be considered a sign of teething.

I hope it gets better for you soon!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well DD just had this morning's night waking, at 5:00 am or so, and it was normal. She's sleeping again now, 10 minutes after waking up, w/ no fussing at all.

As for her still burping at her "old" age,
, she probably gets that from her mom. I've always been a burps-all-the-time gal, and still am today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.