Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby is 10 months old, and has never pooped in a diaper. My oldest was this way too, and by 18 months he was using the potty to poop himself (I'd help wipe, of course) and by 22 months he was totally trained, day and night, and completely independent in the bathroom.

So back to the baby, at first we would just lay him on his changing table and take his diaper down, and he would go. When he got to be about 6 months I would of course know his cues and take him to the potty and he'll go there, and he'll pee too if I make the 'psst' noise for him. He laughs and thinks this is great! He will wet his diaper all day though, I'm not too into rushing him to the potty that often to pee. However I'm loving the pooping in the toilet, no more messy diapers to wash!

So what are that odds that, once he starts walking, he'll take after his big brother and start using the potty early? He doesn't seem confused by having a diaper on for pee most of the day, but pooping in the toilet, he does sign 'potty' when he has to poop.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
That's very cool. And I'd say the odds are pretty good! Sounds like he knows the cue to pee too. I bet if you were to offer him the potty to pee every couple of ours (you wouldn't necessarily have to 'rush off' to it) and cue him to pee he'd adapt to the pattern and you'd have great success. My 8 mo old pees every couple of hours for the most part- it's not like it's every 15 mins. I'd suggest giving it a try- you may be pleasantly surprised and save a TON of diapers!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts