Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so excited that we've booked with our doula. We didn't have one for DDs birth and I really regretted it (especially at 4:00 am when my mother went home for a nap and my DH fell asleep in the room and I was labouring all by myself - sheesh!)

Honestly, my birth experience with DD was lousy...she was perfect and healthy and I was so thrilled about that...but looking back I had a rotten time with the whole thing. This time we're under MW care instead of at the hospital, and hiring a doula, and I really feel like we're taking steps in the right direction.

I'm finally starting to get excited about this birth/baby. I've been a little disconnected up until now, I don't know if it's fear of something going wrong with the pregnancy or just that I'm kept so busy with DD already, but it's all been a little surreal so far. I'm trying to do some shopping and planning and now that we've hired our doula (a great way to dump hundreds of dollars in one fell swoop!) I'm thinking that the whole thing might seem a little more real.

Sorry this was so long. I'm just really excited to be getting on track with my own pregnancy!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Congratulations! You have chosen wisely!
Birth doulas are amazing. My dh adored both of ours...and now, our birth doula for dd2 is our midwife for dc3!

The first time, he hemmed and hawed a bit about the money but yielded to my research and needs. The second time, he practically tripped over himself making sure that we secured one right away! He tells everyone: "Don't give birth without a doula!"

You will have a completely different, much more positive birth experience this time, Mama!

We haven't decided about having a doula this time. I think our mw's labor support may be enough and I'm really concerned about having postpartum help. We don't have any support from family, etc, postpartum and I really have a difficult time. If we have the money, I think it will go toward a postpartum doula, which is soo much more expensive than a birth doula around here!
We paid $300 for dd1's birth doula in VA, $700 for dd2's birth doula in CT... For a pp doula, it's $25/hour with a minimum of 4 hours a day!
: And, obviously 1-7 days is just not going to cut it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.