Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my DD played with a kitchen at an aunt's house this weekend and my DH promised her we would get one. Which is fine--I have been wanting one for her often this past year...

But! Which to get? Price is a factor, but I am willing to pay for quality. I just want my money's worth so to speak...

I have this one picked out and ready to order... but it is not very "Waldorf".

http://www.dreamtimebaby.com/kibyki.html

I LOVE the nova natural ones... but $$$ and not as many "features"!

http://www.novanatural.com/product.p...r=4375&sec=665

I am slowly building my Waldorf playroom... and the former doesn't "fit" as well as the latter... need some support on why to spend more money on the natural kitchen! Or since the first one is wood, is it ok? Or too many colors and distractions?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have seen lots of wooden kitchens and my all time favorites are the kitchens made by Elves & Angels. (that's who makes the one you linked to from Nova). They are beautiful kitchens are are true heirloom quality.

The one made by KidKraft (the first pic) is cute, but it won't be made of as high quality wood -- I think many of their kitchens are MDF board. It does have more "features", but you may find that your DD will use her imagination to create these features on a more simple kitchen.

You could also check out the kitchens made by Willow Toys and Little Colorado....all nice wooden kitchens, but Elves & Angels are my personal fav!

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
I personally think that the simpler kitchens which are more open-ended are better. My daughter and her dh made a very, very basic kitchen for her home day care and the children love it and play with it a lot. It is basically a countertop with a stainless bowl inset as a sink at one end, some little shelves above and more to one side. They have a few bowls and pots and wooden eggs and stirring things and oddly shaped wooden objects. There is also a table and various bits of cloth, small and large. The space has inspired a lot of wonderful make believe cooking and tea parties and "snack-times."

So, I would go for sturdy and simple, with the minimum of bells and whistles. The fancier stuff fascinates children, but I don't think the interest holds up as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hi there i tend to agree with the other posts, i think you would be better going for something a bit more simple, also you pay for what you get the nova ones are beautiful and will last as there fantastic quality... and they not so razzy dazzy if you know what i mean

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
check willowtoys.com theres are just likethe novanatural ones but cheaper. the guy that makes them is wonderful too. we got our playstands and kitchne from them (we got liam's kitchen) FREE SHIPPING TOO!

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, my husband and I discussed it and I went back to my "You are your Child's first teacher" book and I came to the same conclusions that you guys did!

Willow Toys, Liam's Kitchen got my sale.

I can't wait to unpack it and see her face!

Thanks for all the reminders about LESS is more and challenge the imagination. That is what I needed to hear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.