Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is similar to any recent posts, but without the Search function on MDC (not back yet) I'm a bit lost.

We're expecting our new baby in a few months and DD is still coming over in the middle of the night to sleep with me (DH then goes to her bed - it's a double). We have a crib side-carred to our bed, and at that point DH sleeps between me and the crib, rolling back and forth between the two. We fully intend to co-sleep with the new baby, but when DDcomes over (I'm assuming she will), I'd like to move the baby to my other side and keep myself in between the children. My concern is the other side of the bed. I'd rather not invest in one of the family bed rolls, and would like to learn more about bed rails. Reckon DH could slide one in easily on his way over to DD's bed, thereby protecting the new baby from scooching or falling out of the bed onto the hardwood floor.

Any brands that you would recommend, or thoughts from your own experience?

Thanks!

Kristen

·
Registered
552 Posts
we got a cheap mesh one from BRU (maybe $20?)- it worked fine, and you can put the rail down if you want to make the bed properly. They say you need a boxspring to use it, but we don't and it just fit underneath the mattress.

Don't get one that's just bars though, because if the baby ends up on that side they could get partly stuck in it (or maybe not, but that's what it looks like).

They also sell a super cheap one at ikea that's not too ugly, (wood or laminate), but it doesn't look quite high enough to prevent a baby rolling out - it's more like a "guide" for a toddler bed.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
We made one pretty easily. It's a piece of scrap plywood, about 4 by 2.5 feet, that is covered in fabric with a layer of padding from an old mattress pad underneath. It slides down between the bed frame and box spring so it can be removed or put back in seconds and it is really secure--I can lean on it in bed. I can't really make the bed around it, but it looks nice with leftover upholstery fabric. And it was free!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts