Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH has been reading up on links between petroleum products and cancer and has decided we need to replace some of DS' plastic toys with wooden ones. He doesn't have a lot, but he loves his Fisher Price ring stacker and shape sorter, and he loves to chew on them, which is why we're concerned. All of the wooden versions of the ring stacker and shape sorter that I see are for 1 or 2 years and up, though. Does anybody know of a wooden ring stacker that's for younger kids? Spam me, please! I'm loving this online toy shopping! I guess a cloth ring stacker would be ok, too.

TIA!

·
Registered
499 Posts
We got a Melissa and Doug one for ds, who's now 8mo. He loves playing with the rings even though he's not stacking them or anything at this point. It's recommended for 18mo+ but it's one of his favorite toys anyway.

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
ikea has them too
oops.. i didnt read before i posted.. but yeah.. they have some rad wooden toys..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, do you all think the ages listed on the toys don't really matter that much? I found a lot of these toys when I searched, but I was worried about the paints and him teething on them if they were designed for older kids. I also don't know if there are choking hazzards in the bigger kid versions. I mean, I'll be watching him most of the time he plays with them, but I'd like to be able to run out of the room to get the phone without worrying about it, you know?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I got one at Toys R Us, I think it was Imaginarium. It doesn't actually have a dowel to put them over - they just stack. We really like it and you can't tell it's been chewed on. Of course, Juie still doesn't have teeth, so maybe I'm not the best person to be answering.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymous4_20
So, do you all think the ages listed on the toys don't really matter that much? I found a lot of these toys when I searched, but I was worried about the paints and him teething on them if they were designed for older kids. I also don't know if there are choking hazzards in the bigger kid versions. I mean, I'll be watching him most of the time he plays with them, but I'd like to be able to run out of the room to get the phone without worrying about it, you know?
The wooden ones I listed and I know the one from atoygarden.com (which I've ordered from many times, all with excellent customer service, btw) specifically state that they're non-toxic. Doesn't look like there are parts small enough to be considered a choking hazard. As with any toy, use your best judgment, but I wouldn't worry about these. I think often times the age range is not just for safety but for skill level, as with these rings.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sheandaru
If you want to look at more age-appropriate toys, try the HABA site & I can special order anything for you.
I can 2nd the recommendation for Haba toys - our kids love what we have by them. Another baby-safe wooden toy brand is Selecta - I especially love their teethers/rattles.

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
i third the HABBA suggestion.. we love our HABBA toys.. but sadly the woman in our town who was selling them isnt anymore..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everybody! We've got some Haba toys, but he still likes those darn plastic rings better right now. I thought I'd replace them rather than just get rid of them, you know? Haba doesn't seem to make a ring stacker, but I'll probably get something from some of these links you've sent.

The info on plastics and cancer came from a friend of DH who read the book "The Hundred Year Lie." I haven't read it yet, but it scared this guy to death. I know that the toys for sale in the US are supposed to be safe, but DH and I have decided to get more wooden ones and decrease the plastic anyways. I mean, formula was supposed to be better for babies than breastmilk in the '50s, too.
: The website is www.hundredyearlie.com I haven't looked at it yet, so I hesitate to link to it, but I trust the guy that read the book, and there was a lot of info that I agreed with when I scanned the site. Check it out and decide for yourself. One of the scarier facts he cites is a study done in 2003 that said that found rocket fuel in most nursing mom's breastmilk, stemming from run-off into irrigation water. Yikes!

·
Registered
233 Posts
As far as the ages they put on there I talked to someone at Melissa and Doug about that. She said that the wooden ring stackers are really not meant to be teethed on and if your babe sucks and sucks and sucks and slobbers there would be a small chance that the would could get soft and DC could chew a piece off of it. She said that for their toys, all of the paint is 'non-toxic' but it is applied in a different ways. Toys for older babies have a coating where for the babies they are using some sort of infusing method so that the paint can't just be sucked off.

hth

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
i just got Ethan a wooden stacker (dh thinks he's going to hurt himself with it but whatever). i think one difference in the one that i got is that its short, so the rings are big (the top ring is probably 3 inches in diameter or so), preventing any chocking hazard.
i also am trying to replace our toys with wood/organic. i went to our consigment store the other day and got the little train from The Montgomery Schoolhouse for $7!!! i also got a new wooden train from Discovery Toys (still in the original wrapping) that says 3+ years but i looked at it and there is nothing in/on it that would be a choking hazard, so im not really sure WHY it would be labeled like that. perhaps b/c they dont really pretend with trains untl 3? my boys did before that. and they cant use any different paint on something for a 3 year old that they cant use for a 6 month old, kwim??

i wish i knew what my stacker was but there is no name on it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymous4_20
The info on plastics and cancer came from a friend of DH who read the book "The Hundred Year Lie." I haven't read it yet, but it scared this guy to death. I know that the toys for sale in the US are supposed to be safe, but DH and I have decided to get more wooden ones and decrease the plastic anyways. I mean, formula was supposed to be better for babies than breastmilk in the '50s, too.
: The website is www.hundredyearlie.com I haven't looked at it yet, so I hesitate to link to it, but I trust the guy that read the book, and there was a lot of info that I agreed with when I scanned the site. Check it out and decide for yourself. One of the scarier facts he cites is a study done in 2003 that said that found rocket fuel in most nursing mom's breastmilk, stemming from run-off into irrigation water. Yikes!

Thanks for that info

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.