Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like all of you, I want the best for DS... and I've heard so much about wooden toys...

I would prefer not to give DS any plastic, but MIL told me that wooden toys hold more germs and that the paint that is used to color them is toxic....

Any info on this would be awesome because his one year b-day is coming up and everyone is asking what to get for him...

Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
I struggle with this as well, so I'll be interested in the responses.

I have actually contacted two comapnies of toys that my DS likes to suck on all the time. One was a book company that said that the inks were non-toxic and the other was Melissa and Doug that told me that they also used non-toxic paint and a special process for the baby wooden toys.

They also told me to try and stick with toys that are listed for your babies actual age because a company might assume that a 5 yr old is not going to suck on something but that a 1 year old will.

It is so scary to have a child who is at an age where they love to suck on everything and it just seems like so many things have chemicals and are not safe for that.

I heard here at MDC that keys can contain lead so I don't let DS suck on those!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi! I sell M&D wooden toys on my site and have questioned them a bunch on that...everything they have in their line is non-toxic, but that isn't really the same as completely safe, kwim? generally, lableing for under 3 isn't so much about the chewable factor but the choking...so there's no small parts. if your little guy chews hard enough to chip it at all, even though it is technically "non-toxic" I would maybe lean more towards plastic....although my Little Man could crunch some of those, too
He's got some jaws on him and had teeth really early (my poor nipples....) what about washable cloth things? like soft books? good luck and happy early birthday to him!

·
Registered
188 Posts
muckemom said:
wooden toys hold more germs and the paint that is used to color them is toxic..../QUOTE]

I never thought of wooden toys in this light so I'm also interested in hearing what others have to say. I think most wooden toys out on the market today are sold with a non-toxic finish so for occasional 'tasting' I would think a child would be safe.

I was going to suggest alternatives for that age, playsilks and cloth dolls and such, but if you think about it, every toy is going to have some kind of coating or dye or chemical used in its production.

Fortunately at this age, you don't need a whole lot. My son, if I remember correctly, loved to play for hours with our pots and pans, nesting the salad bowls, etc.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
SUBBING

haba and selecta wooden toys are completely safe to taste and teeth on BTW

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I wanted to add that if you are vegan you need to ask your retailer how your toys are finished and specifically mention that you are vegan. I know that some of the Selecta toys have a beeswax finish. I actually rub our wood toys down with beeswax occasionally to keep them looking fresh.

·
Registered
922 Posts
My dd once chewed a wooden toy enough to leave a mark in it and chip the paint
....but Haba toys are great, and even with her super sharp 4 teeth, she can't put a dent in them. I only give her haba wooden toys to chew on now. (although I've heard great things about M&D, just don't have any yet).

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
We have a Haba wooden teething ring. It's supposed to be non-toxic, and it's my DS's favorite thing to chew on at 5 months old.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trishy
I wanted to add that if you are vegan you need to ask your retailer how your toys are finished and specifically mention that you are vegan. I know that some of the Selecta toys have a beeswax finish. I actually rub our wood toys down with beeswax occasionally to keep them looking fresh.
thats true mama!!
i personally allow beeswax on my dd's toys b/c id rather that than chemicals )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts