1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have a similar one, it's a little simpler and I just got it used at a used baby thing. The baby LOVES it.. he's ben walking for a while but every time we go somewhere that has one of these walkers he spends the whole time pushing it around, loading it up with things, emptying it etc. I think it's a wonderful toy for kids. Look on ebay and other places to see if you can find a used one for cheaper, mine cost 15 Euros.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
No recs, I apologize. I have seen the wooden walker from Haba and it is adorable and looks like it will last forever. I would love to own one. We only have plastic ones from fisher-price. If you can't get a wooden one yet, there are a few cute ones from FP I could recommend.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
We have this one, a Radio Flyer:

http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Cl.../dp/B00005AWB5

My daughter loves it and I predict it will get many years of play. One thing I like about it is that it has little 'clickers' that make a little bit of noise when you push it, and these also serve to slow it down and stabilize it just a bit. Before she could walk, it was steady enough for her to pull up on and then push without running away from her.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ent_mom View Post
I'm thinking about getting DS a wooden walker, and I've found these 2:

http://thewoodenwagon.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=BNV450

Haba..
http://www.bellalunatoys.com/forbaby...alkerwagon.htm

Anyone have either of these or another one you really like? It's a lot of money but I think it would get a lot of use for a number of years (by DD too probably!)

Thoughts? Walker recommendations (especially cheaper but still wooden ones)?

Thanks!
Those are beautiful! We went for a less expensive option, and got this:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00009XZTK
We didn't buy it there, that's just the first place that came up when I Googled it! It's wooden, and it comes filled with wooden and cloth blocks. It's sturdy, and the rolling action is stiff enough that DD could pull up on it without it totally getting away from her.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My dd has one from IKEA. It's not all wooden though, but, it is only $30. She loves it! She loves to put everything into it and push it around, or sit in it and have us push he around. It's very similar to the first one you linked.

good luck

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
We bought a wooden walker at Target for $19, that has a little stroller part, a magnet board, and a shape sorter. It was really, really hard to assemble and you have to use real wood glue instead of the glue that they give you. But that's worth it to me, as opposed to spending tons of money on a toy my little guy probably won't use for very long.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
We have the Haba one. It is pricey, but it is beautiful, really well made and sturdy. It's fun for playgroups or siblings because kids can actually ride in it while another pushes. It is quite heavy/sturdy, so it's good for babies who are just learning to walk. I looked at the Ikea one in the store but thought it was too light/too fast for a beginning walker (though easier to steer).

We've had the Haba one for almost a year, and ds (18 months) still plays with it, and it's in great shape for any other future children we might have...so I feel like we got our money's worth.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I have the Haba Pushing Car and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It's similar to the Walker Wagon, though, just a little different.

When Erin was littler we pushed her around the in walker (it has a seat) and now that's she's older, she puts her dollies in there and pushes them around. She loves the space in the back to store her goodies and collect things as she goes from room to room.

Expensive, yes, but we splurged and are glad we did.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NicaG View Post
We have the Haba one. It is pricey, but it is beautiful, really well made and sturdy. It's fun for playgroups or siblings because kids can actually ride in it while another pushes. It is quite heavy/sturdy, so it's good for babies who are just learning to walk. I looked at the Ikea one in the store but thought it was too light/too fast for a beginning walker (though easier to steer).
Just wanted to say that the Brio wagon (and Ikea one too, I believe) have little screws you can tighten down on the axle. This increases the resistance, meaning you have to push harder to make it roll. We did this for a while, or else the wagon rolled too easily for dd and got away from her.

However, the actual wagon part is lighter than the Haba one, for example, so this does make it easier to tip if they pull on the handle to get themselves to standing. DD figured it out pretty quick, though, and learned how to pull to standing without a problem.

I put a lot of effort (and a reasonable amount of money, compared to a cheapy plastic one) into getting dd a nice walker, and realistically, she only used it for learning to walk for a few weeks
. After that, she was walking all on her own, and the wagon is now used occasionally to sit in, ride in, and pile toys in
. And then I saw a nearly identical one (although much older and slightly battered) at a rummage sale. For one dollar.

That said, the Haba one is gorgeous, so it's up to what you want, and your budget!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NicaG View Post

We've had the Haba one for almost a year, and ds (18 months) still plays with it, and it's in great shape for any other future children we might have...so I feel like we got our money's worth.
:

We asked my parents to get this for dd for her birthday (they wanted an idea), which made the price OK.
Oh my gosh, she just adores it. It was too hard for her to steer at first (it has some heft!), but as soon as she figured that out, it became her very favorite thing. She hops out of bed in the morning to go get it, and it goes whererever she does whenever we are at home. Some kids have stuffed bunnies, mine has a walker wagon.... hmmmm...
Anyway, it's awesome.

It looks like any of the ones suggested by pp can be filled up with stuff (you know, stuffed animals, snacks, pieces of trash they sneak out of the garbage can...), but the seat on the Haba version is really great. Dd and her friends absolutely love to push each other around.

The Haba wagon is heavy, sturdy, and very beautiful. I have no doubt it will get many years of use from many children, and look no worse for the wear.

Your dc will most likely enjoy any of these very much! Have fun!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Oh yeah. IKEA *rocks* for kid toys. Do you know anyone where there is one? Might be worth having someone get it for you.

-Angela
A while back on a "How can I make money from home?" thread, an MDC mom mentioned that she uses ebay to reach people who want stuff from Ikea, she buys it (charges them a markup to make some $$ for herself), then ships it to them. How inventive is that? It's so clever, I've thought of doing it myself!
Maybe you could search on ebay and find her, or someone like her.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Not much to add, but just wanted to say definitely get one that is sturdy for new walkers and is built to last! We bought our ds a cheapish one (about $30, came with blocks) and he couldn't use it until he could walk well because of the balance. But then, wow, did he ever use it! He was obsessed with it - until a wheel fell off and because of how it was built it couldn't be repaired. I have no doubt that if we still had it they he'd still use it - he uses his little stroller all the time!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.