Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know iron levels drop in pregnancy, it's normal and to be expected. Mine at 5. wks 2 days was 12.1. At 28 weeks it was finally checked again and found to be 10. My HBMW was ok with that, but suggested I start taking alfalfa. At 32 weeks it was rechecked and was :shock 9.8. What?! Lower...ok not cool. So I am given iron pills. I don't have any money to buy the Floridix my HBMW wants me to try, so I try the iron pills....this happens twice. ICK...I haven't felt that gross since I was 12 weeks. Ok, so payday hits, and I get the Floridix...I take it for 8 days before I run out of Orange Juice (it's a liquid and I HAD to mix it or I couldn't stomach it)

Last week, my hemoglobin (finger stick) was 10.1. Cool, it was above 10, which was my goal, my HBMW was ok with this..but no lower. Today, I go back to the OB's office and ask them to double check to make sure it stayed up....it's.....

TWELVE POINT ONE...12.1 oh my WORD WOOHOO It's back to what it was at 5 weeks. I am SO THRILLED, I coudln't be happier. I am just
over this!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!

I LOVE FLORIDIX!! I may have to write the company now!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That is so great! My iron was kind of low also (10.6) the only time I got it checked, but I have not been re-checked and have not done anything so I hope mine is fine now. I do not feel like I am anemic so I have not worried about it. I have heard such great things about Floridex, so much better than iron pills I am sure.

·
Premium Member
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to Life Grocery to get Floridix, and I couldn't taste it at all in Orange Juice. I took 10 ml twice a day, and the bottle would have lasted a total of 10 days. I tried searching just Floridix, and couldn't come up with anything.

Check whole foods stores. Also I believe liquid Chlorophyll will do the same, but check with an herbalist
I may be thinking of something else with that, but my MW was talking about taking that in pregnancy.

Oh, the Floridix I took is call "Iron and Herbs" I haven't searched for that yet, but I will!

·
Premium Member
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep just google "Iron and Herbs" and you'll get some hits, hopefully you can find some!

BTW, it's kinda expensive, but I really just started taking it at 37 wks-ish and today at 38 wks 2or-3 days my iorn was back up.

And you probably want to take it with vit c. If your already taking some that's GREAT! I took it in OJ, and took 500 IU's of vit. c with each dose.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I take Floridix too--I just guzzle it out of the measuring cap though! I get mine at Whole Foods.

I had my iron checked when I did the gestational diabetes test, and it was really good. But awhile back (maybe a month ago?) I started feeling really run down and out of breath a lot. My midwife said it sounded like maybe the hypodilution of my blood due to the pregnancy could be doing it. She said I could either get my iron checked again, or just try the Floridix. I just did the Floridix and it only took a few days for me to be back to my old self. I didn't take it for a few days when I went to visit my parents, and then the fatigue came back.

The other thing I love about Floridix is that it is not constipating! Woo-hoo!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yay! I
Floradix, too! My hemoglobin was at 9.5, and my MWs said they wouldn't deliver me at home if it was that low. They suggested chlorophyl and Floradix, and said that I'd be lucky to get it up a half point in 2 weeks. Today I was tested (2 weeks after starting to take them, with forgetting some days), and I was at 11.2 (or was it 11.7?).

Yay!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.