Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love our wool soakers, but they aren't that reliable for a long car ride, etc. (I did just buy a 'crat, so that may be better.) Do wool covers work better? I always go for the soakers b/c they don't leave any red marks, but perhaps I should try a wool cover. If you prefer soakers, where can I get a good one? Maybe mine are just inferior. Thanks for your help, experienced mamas!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
hmm, I've never had any problems with long car rides. And my kids are some serious super soakers. My dd once peed through a diaper and left a puddle on the floor!lol Now my kids wear longies all winter and have quite a few shorts for summer.

Are yours lanolized well? What kind of diaper are you using with your soakers? I'm just trying to get a handle on how we can fix your problems.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I agree that I haven't had any problem with most soakers. If they are a really thin wool, I may have compression leaking...but the same for really thin wool covers (if the diaper is soaked underneath). For nighttime I need to use wool flannel or a heavier wool...

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I don't have any wool covers, just soakers, so I can't answer your question. I agree with the suggestion about lanolizing. And I have never had a leak with an aristocrat. Also, have you tried wool doublers? I knitted my own and felted them and put them under cotton, hemp, or microfiber doublers sometimes.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I use both and my soaker are WELL lanolized so they don't leak. I do have a
nikki wool cover that I like but they are wide in the bum and most of my fitteds are trim. I also have a Honey boy wool cover that I use some nights!
I would like a wool cover that had snaps instead of velcro- I am compulsivly always picking at it! Soakers are still my fav!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
i have never had a problem with my wool soakers in the care either but i would suggest making sure the soaker is knit out of worsted weight yarn. it is heavier and i jsut can't imagine anything escaping out of a well lanolized soaker knit from it.

i do have wool covers but in the summer soakers are sooo much eaiser, two layers instead of three with the covers and that means that much less work when ihave to change lol

i am a lazy pregnant woman

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
in my experience wool soakers are more reliable than covers. but for a long car ride the only thing that's not going to leak is PUL. so if you're concerned about leaking and wicking, choose an AIO or pocket for a long trip in the car.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I usually use a prefold or SugarPeas fitted under them. I am trying the 'crat now. The others I have are bjm. Where can I get a worsted wool one? Also, where can I get a wool doubler? Do you put it right next to you dc skin or under a liner?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
pretty much any WAHM can knit you a doubler. Most WAHM's do use worsted weight wool. i'm not sure what the bjm's are- I have never seen one.

i have knit a doubler into the crotch of soakers since my kids are supersoakers and we go on long rides often.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts