Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just washed my two wool covers as follows. Is it right?

Fill up a big bowl with tepid water.
Add the wool covers and saturate.
Get bar of wool soap and rub it all over covers and then kind of rub the cover into itself to wash it. This uses A LOT of my wool soap.
Put cover back into tepid water and watch the water turn white.
Dump out water and run tepid water over the covers until it runs almost clear.
Put liquid wool wash and some lanolin in glass baby food jar with water, mix, and put into microwave.
Take covers out of big bowl.
Fill big bowl with water, add lanonlin mixture from microwave, swish around.
Add covers back into bowl and let them sit for about 30 minutes.
Roll them in towel and then lay flat to dry.

Right? Do I have to do the lanonlin step each week? If I'm just going to wash and not lanolize, do I rinse all that soap out of the covers? It seems like a lot of soap to use but it also seems to not lather up enough so that I could use less. The wool soap confuses me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anything specifically meant for wool (ie. wool soap, eucalan, etc) shouldn't need to be rinsed out.

BTW, I usually don't coat the covers w/ the bar. While the water is running into the basin, I rub the bar between my hands. This releases plenty of soap into the water. I then stick the covers in and get them saturated. If there are any stains, I will then rub those spots with the bar. Then gently squeeze a bunch of times, then let it sit for a few minutes, then repeat.

If necessary, I will then add lanolin to the water, but otherwise, I just remove and squeeze out the water to dry.

They definitely get plenty clean, and I don't go through nearly as much bar.

HTH!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.